1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

getting around the blue tooth gray out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by drh3177, Aug 10, 2006.

1. drh3177

drh3177 Junior Member

Of all of the attempts by Toyota to replace my mother, the one I resent the most is the gray
    out of the blue tooth screen when I have dialed a number (such as Toyota Owner relations) that
    demands that I press 1 for this, or 2 for that.

Toyota allows me to do the following 5 touch dialing
    1. press "info"
    2. press "telephone"
    3. press "one touch"
    4. press to go to one touch screen two or to screen three
    5. press the one touch number

If that number is any of 12 opf my 17 one touches, I am asked to press 1 for service, 2 for tech support, 3 for sales, etc. At this point it takes only two touches to act.

1. press "back" to get to the number pad
    2. press the number corresponding to the service you wish

Of course, Toyota does not allow you to do this.

An owner of a Toyota product is prevented from choosing to press 1, or 2, or 3 because either

A. Mother Toyota says don't do it
    or
    B. Toyota has discovered that 2 touches put you at greater risk of distraction than 5 touches.
    or
    C. Toyota knows that people who drive the Prius have neither friends nor family and therefor there are never pasengers in our cars whose distraction would certainly not be a safety issue

At this point I better ask you if "you agree" or this entry could be grayed out.

I see that Wikopedia has an entry on how to defeat the "grey out" on the navigation system. and even though it must be repeated every time one starts the vehicle, it beats having to pull to the side of the road on a bumper to bumper 65 MPH expressway.

Does anyone know how to defeat the blue tooth gray out. While I see that Coastal Tech has hardware to accomplish this purpose, I also see that there are a great number of postings indicating that promises to ship and actual shipping may not be one in the same at Coastal Tech

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, but it involves cutting a wire and putting in a switch. There's a purple speed sensor wire that you can get to by either removing the center speaker or the A/C vent cover to the right of the MFD (the BT is the lower wire, the upper is the NAV). You can see here what the wire looks like. You have to put a switch in as this also controls the 5-minute bars on the Consumption Screen and the wheels on the Energy Screen (it fools the car into thinking that it's stopped). Under normal operation, you turn it off, enter the number and turn it back on. You won't lose any information that way.

I used a push-on/push-off button. You can see what that looks like here and here. Some have installed a magnetic switch, which is less conspicuous. If you want to do the same with the NAV, you cut the upper purple wire and install a switch. You can even put in a DPDT switch to do both at the same time.