1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting Best Milage on the Freeway

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by hdrygas, Nov 6, 2005.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had to take a trip to Portland on I-5. It was cool mid 40's and raining and add to that winter gas. Speed limit is 70 for most of the trip and there is quite a bit of traffic around you. Other than slowing down how does one get the best milage? I did slow down a bit but there is only so much you can do with out being a danger to your self and others. I have tried the cruse control on the flats with slowing down a bit going up and speeding up down hill. Pulse and glide or the over 41mph version did not seem to help and with traffic you can only do so much with out making people angry. What strategies work for other? I ended up averaging 49.3 for the trip.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    speed limit MAXIMUM is 70 mph.. trucks are limited to 60 mph. anyone who thinks badly of you for driving 60 mph probably has several other issues to worry about anyway

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I usually just set the cruise control for whatever the speed limit is and don't change speed to much. I will speed up or slow down if I end up along side someone because I think it's safer to have as much space between me and anyone else as I can.

49 mpg at 70 is about what I have been getting also and I think it's pretty respectable.

You might be able to beat the cruise control but I don't think it's worth the trouble.

4. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If you are driving a constant speed, there is little you can do to affect mileage. Once you are up to speed your mileage is based on rolling resistance, wind resistance, and mehcanical losses in the drivetrain. For rolling resistance you can up the tire pressure a little. For wind resistance you can slow down, get behind a big truck (just kidding) or wait for the wind to be blowing in your favor (just kidding again). For mechanical losses you can make sure you are using the slippriest oils available, like synthetics.

Of all those items the most effective is probably slowing down, but of course that's tough to do on long hauls and when the prevailing traffic is driving 80MPH.

On a side note, I took two round trips this last week to the airport. Both were in similar weather and at 70MPH, except for a steady 30MPH wind on the first trip. On the first trip I got about 52MPG on the way out and about 46 on the way back. On the second trip with calm air I got about 50 MPG on the way out and 48 on the way back. Headwinds or tailwinds can make a big difference!

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Out here in Hillbilly country I usually just set the CC to my minimum speed I'm willing to go. We have lots of big hills. I am careful to feather the accelerator on downhills (ala pulse & glide) to where I see either an orange arrow from the battery (and I'm careful that I'm not actually using much battery power) or pink arrows from ICE and green to battery. I usually pick up a LOT of speed on those long downhill runs and then I just do my best to keep the pedal feathered and add just enough power to carry that momentum gained as far up the next incline as possible.

Does it help my MPG? I like to think so, but if not it sure keeps me involved and entertained so it's worth it.

6. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I missed something, but why are you complaining about getting EPA mileage?? Very few cars are actually capable of that.

49.9 sounds very good.

I have noticed that rain does seem to affect mileage in a negative way though, so under better conditions, you might even be able to do better.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    mostly because one can EASILY average 60 mpg at 60 mph

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Not complaining at all but like efusco says it keeps you focused and involved. What good is that video game they gave us to play with if we don't try to get a higher "score". Also these strategies and techniques give us insights into how the car works. The marathon crew last August that got 110mpg were not complaining about getting EPA they were just exploring the limits of the car.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    thats it Henry!@!

complain because you didnt get 110 mpg!!