1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting close to buying

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sanguine, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Sanguine

Sanguine Junior Member

I have been reading this forum for about a week and I am very impressed with the knowledge being shared.
    I have been giving serious thought to buying a new Prius (that probably goes without saying here). I would be trading a 2004 Subaru Imprezza WRX wagon. I read the other day on this forum about issues with traction control. I live in Central New York and commute about 21 miles up into the edge of the snow belt. So, winter traction is a large concern.
    I also wonder about other's use of snow tires. Do you buy spare wheels (I have always had 2 sets of wheels, one with snows- even on my Subarus)? and do you have pressure sensors installed in those wheels?
    Please, all you winter drivers out there, enlighten me! I want to be convinced. I am so close!!!
    Thanks

2. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Winter driver here. Been stuck once on my driveway. Had to get pulled out. This winter, I've not had any problems. I've read many threads about how much tires help and am considering getting a set for next winter. The low resistance tires are great for MPG during the warmer months, so I'll keep these for warmer month rotations.

In case MPG is of concern to you, I get approx. 60 MPG in warmer temps and 43 MPG in colder climate. My commute is very short (15 minutes). If yours is longer than this, your mileage should improve from my experience.

All in all I appreciate this car and have enjoyed ownership of this vehicle immensely more than any other car I've owned. And I say this even though I've had a consistent inexplicable, atypical noise that my dealer cannot seem to fix.

3. bnaccs

bnaccs bnaccs

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know exactly what you mean. IU live in Denver and also have read a lot about the traction control system. Going from an AWD Subaru might be a big change for you. Let me know if you find out anything.

4. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
  5. Sanguine

Sanguine Junior Member

SSimon, bnaccs, and NY biker
    Thanks for your input. I have gathered bits and pieces from various threads. I will have to keep reading and accosting Prius drivers whenever possible.
    So far Upstate NY has had a mild winter, but looking at lake effect coming up next week. I will see what I can observe then, maybe a test ride!
    bnaccs, my girlfriend is from Denver. She misses her mountains very much. She is a former Rocky Flatts employee.
    Thanks all.

6. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I currently have bridgestone blizzaks on steel wheels on my prius, it hurts the fuel economy greatly but I get great low-temperature winter traction. I've also used Yokohama ice guards and Michelin X-ice in the past and they all work great. Winter tires use a softer grade of rubber to stay soft in very low temperatures, just as performance tires use harder rubber to operate at very high temperatures and high speeds.

Here's the rule of thumb regarding winter tires:

RWD car + snow tires = FWD winter performance
    FWD car + snow tires = AWD winter performance
    AWD car + snow tires = 4x4 truck winter performance
    4x4 truck + snow tires = Abrams tank winter performance

Pirelli and Dunlop also sell winter tires, but they are more for performance winter driving, i'd avoid those because their winter traction is questionable.

7. Sanguine

Sanguine Junior Member

cnschult,
    Thanks for the input. I have Goodyear ice something snows on my WRX, my girlfriend has the same on her Outback. So I am a great believer.
    Do have the tire pressure sensors in your steel wheels? I am looking at buying a new Prius and they have the tire pressure sensors. I would rather not add 30 to 40 dollars per wheel, nor do I care to have a warning light messed up all the time.
    Have you had issues in snow or very slippery conditons with the traction control preventing you from going?

8. Sanguine

Sanguine Junior Member

Anyone else out there from snow country?

9. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    there was no tire pressure system avail for the prius back in 2005,

you can use any steel or aluminum wheel for the prius that is a 5x100 bolt pattern, 15" or 14" would work fine, 13" wheels may not have enough clearance to fit over the front brake calipers.

Tire pressure monitors are only needed for a car you buy your wife or daughter, you should be able to glance at your tires and visually see when they are low on air, or just use a gauge. If you are that worried you can even inflate your winter set with nitrogen like airplane tires, N2 will lose pressure much more slowly than O2.

however, using non-oem wheels for 4 winter months will cause a newer prius to have an annoying tire-pressure warning light to come on, take it to the dealership to have the system shut off for the winter, and ask a technician how to activate and deactivate the system yourself. (or maybe the directions are posted on this forum somewhere)

one of my favorite benefits of snow tires is that it allows you to run your regular tires down to the bone (1/32"). If you have all-season tires you need at least 5/32" to hopefully survive the winter. This is why if you look on ebay motors you see a lot of perfectly good used all-season tires being sold by canadians, this is because 5/32" of tread left for someone living in Atlanta is fine but not enough to survive a Canadian winter.

10. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
  11. Zoot

Zoot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hmmm, snow... Oh yeah, I think I saw some of that stuff on TV once.

I've noticed that it's not unusual to see a ski rack on top of a Prius here in the bay area though.

Z.

12. Sanguine

Sanguine Junior Member

Thanks to all for your input, I see there are some new threads with snow driving info, and it seems there has been an upgrade to the program that controls the traction control. And as always, good snow tires. I appreciate the info that the dealer can disable the tire pressure warning light.
    Thanks, it is now winter in Central New York, 3 feet of snow in 24 hrs just north of here.