1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting demo Prii after release?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by jdb-44, Mar 19, 2004.

1. jdb-44

jdb-44 Junior Member

Hello all,

I'm somewhere around 30 on my dealer's waiting list, and with them only getting about 2-3 Prii per month, I'm obviously getting as anxious as many of you here. My salesperson has indicated that there is a Prius with the exact specs I want (BC Millennium Silver) used as a demo...it should be released from service around August. She has mentioned I could possibly arrange to get it at that time...pre-driven, for who knows how many miles...2000? 3000? 5000? And it would still be at MSRP...no discount.

Has anyone else encountered this proposition? I don't think I'd take it...but desperate as I am, I even brought up the idea of paying over MSRP to jump up in the list. She indicated that they wasn't an option, being against the dealer policies. It's nice to see a dealer who's got integrity (at least that's how I perceived it), even if it means a longer wait for me. :(

Jared

2. jchu

jchu New Member

Jared,

My wife and I went with a demo with 1800 mi on it. My wife frustrated with the wait encouraged me first to mine the internet for dealers with cars, and then just any Toyota dealer around the USA where we had family members. We had not originally planned on buying a demo, but one call from Walser Toyota in Minneapolis quickly changed our minds. The dealer asked us if we were interested in thier package 3 black demo which they expected to be available 6 weeks later. When she quoted $19,500 (including delivery fee, I believe MSRP #3 would be $20,825 plus delivery) we asked what was wrong with it. Nothing as it turns out. Our original dealer went on extended leave but the dealership stuck with the price. We are now the proud owners of this car which came as billed. We couldn't be happier with our experience. :D

Jon

3. edmcnierney

edmcnierney Junior Member

Jared, just remember (when calculating the economics) that you're not eligible for the Federal income tax deduction if you're not buying it new. The same may apply for any state tax incentives. But the effective price of a demo vehicle will be not be reduced by that little tax treat.