1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting Deposit Returned

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by pycnanthemum, Mar 14, 2005.

1. pycnanthemum

pycnanthemum New Member

After about 8 days of getting the runaround from a dealership about a 2005 Prius (they said they could get me the one I wanted in 2 days...still waiting) I told them if they didn't confirm they had a swap by tomorrow morning I was coming in to get my deposit back on Wednesday. The sales manager actually said okay but then added "We only return money on Thursdays." I started laughing and he did too, but he wasn't kidding. Is this insane? Is this legal (in MA)?. Sounds like they are just trying to get an extra day out of me, but even after all that I have been through, it is hard to believe someone could just lie to me like that.

Anyone out there have a similar experience?

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no... any dealer i went to previously didn't care if i took my deposit back. go in. they hand me the order sheet along with my check and i walk out with it. Nice knowing ya.. later! ther other dealers didn't even require a deposit. just a down payment

3. felton

felton New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I must admit I am a bit gunshy about the "deposit" issue.
    I received one email, in response to a request for an on-line quote, to bring in a check for $1,000 *nonrefundable* deposit. If they couldn't deliver a car within ONE YEAR, they would refund my money. Oh, and of course they never quoted a price. Just what I want...an 05 in the Spring of 06.

Other dealers have asked for a deposit, which they claim they won't cash, but I don't understand the pupose of an uncashed, refundable deposit. I don't have a problem doing that, but I would want the specifics in writing.

It is a jungle out there:)

Felton...
    On the hunt for an 05, Pkg 6
    North Texas

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most reputable dealers have no problem giving you your deposit back. I got mine back without any problem when i got tired of waiting and found my prius in West Virginia

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    when you talk to a dealer.. go in.. tell them you've been looking around. other places didn't require a deposit. if they did, it was a check that they said they wouldnt cash untill i purchased the car. (part of the down payment)

6. pycnanthemum

pycnanthemum New Member

Sorry, guess I was a bit confusing because of the language used by the dealer. The deposit was a down payment, not for a waiting list or anything. We negotiated the purchase price and they were going to swap one of the cars on their lot for the package I wanted. They cashed the check ($1000). They haven't been able to locate my preferred car (after promising to have it and showing me a printout of the available vehicle). They will only give me this $1000 back on a Thursday, so they say.

7. geckoboi78

geckoboi78 New Member

the dealership i dealt with out here in VA Beach VA, wanted a deposit but didn't care about the amount. So I put down $500 and they got me my car within 3 months.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In 2001, I spent the summer working at a boy's camp in another state. For those 21+ years old, we were told that due to the number of fake IDs used by tourists, bartenders might refuse to serve. The only sure way is to get a state ID.

Then we were told that state IDs were issued every-other Thursday between Noon and 1:00pm. Like you, I started laughing until they assured me that this was no joke.