1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting familiar with the car/early vehicle calculated MPG results

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by commuter, Mar 20, 2012.

1. commuter

commuter Untitled

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Having driven the car for nearly a month now, I'm quite pleased with the early results. Any doubts that I may have had prior to purchasing the car have been erased. This is the perfect car for my needs- hence my username.

My diligence with keeping up with actual fuel economy has been slack for the first two fillups, but I am going to sign up for Fuelly and share my personal MPG calculations when I can in this forum. The trip odo and HSI are giving me good MPG feedback as I drive the car.

A few snapshots I have taken during my commute or after I arrive to my office and shut down the car. The observed numbers are a tad lower on the return trip home, due to slight elevation rises. Take these pics with a slight grain of salt since my commute in everyday is in traffic and slightly downhill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome results!

Can you please include the screen showing average speed? I find that VERY helpful when determining what my capabilities are. For instance, most of the time you see a 60mpg+ tank it is followed by a sub 35mph average speed. Those of us with high speed commutes (40-50mph average speed) are usually stuck in the high 40s to low 50s.

For elevation and speed tracking I use MyTracks which is a mapping App for the Android phone. There are others for the iPhone.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...artphone-app-help-fuel-economy-questions.html

3. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How about posting the readings when you get home or PM time photo? Photo shows going to work. Just a guess since it is showing AM time. Would like to see the difference. Awesome mileage you are getting there. BTW, any modes you are using eco or regular mode?

4. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanx for the info & no worries as many factors are involved to make our mpg but it all balances out in the long run:).

5. commuter

commuter Untitled

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is a snapshot of my trip after I got home last night. Slight caveat: had to take a slightly different way home. Added a few miles to my trip, and wound up missing out on the large uphill climb at the end of my trip. Wound up going through the valley.

[​IMG]

All in all, still quite pleased. This tank is turning into something fun to watch. Most of my driving is in traffic resulting in average speeds of 29-35

[​IMG]

Next post will have the results of my most recent tank to date, and todays morning trip to work.

6. commuter

commuter Untitled

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My morning commute in to work today

[​IMG]

My tank so far. Filled up Sunday night.

[​IMG]

7. ghosteh

ghosteh Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Those are great numbers! You must have close to the ideal commute!

Pick up the speed though! :D

8. commuter

commuter Untitled

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can only go as fast as the car in front of me! Admittedly, I am keeping this car to the right lanes and in ECO mode a lot more. Used to be a medium footed left lane and middle lane driver before buying the Prius.

This tank averaged me out to computed 60.9/calculated 57.03.
    Using the P as my commuter car is now a no-brainer. And when I have to run errands on weekends, its not terrible either. Making multiple stops at Home Depot, etc each day this weekend did bring the MPGs down a bit. The computed number read 63.1 when I came home from work Friday night. may have calculated out to the mid 58s or even 59 mpg if I kept it parked throughout the weekend!

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...-please-post-your-results-77.html#post1506590