1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting "flashed" with headlights while driving...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DaveG, Oct 3, 2004.

1. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just wondering if anyone else gets a lot of headlight "flashes" when driving at night? I'm driving outside Seattle right now (read: rural roads with no street lamps) and I've gotten at least 4 flashes in 30 minutes of driving tonight (all of which I return with a tap on my beams).

I've got the Cdn B model with regular halogen headlights and they don't seem excessively bright to me (most of the light falls on the road about 30ft in front of the car).

I'm going to get the dealer to check the alignment the next time I'm in, but I'm curious if it's just because of the locale because I never get the same thing in Vancouver (where we actually have street lighting) :)

Dave.

2. toolbox

toolbox New Member

Re: Getting "flashed" with headlights while drivin

it is possible the light could be misaligned. i have the halogens and dont notice people flashing me, but someone may mistake halo's for your brights because they are a different color. easy way to check is to pull up against a white garage door on a flat surface about 10 feet away at night. turn your lights on and check to see if one bulb is hitting higher than the other or if they appear to be projecting higher than the level of the bulbs. if dont look right take it to a dealer and let them adjust them.

do the prius have the cornering headlamps or is that lexus only?

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

never been flashed with Silver Stars in either car. Possible you have one out of adjustment.

4. jchu

jchu New Member

I posted about this same thing last month on another thread. It happened primarily on a hilly winding 2 lane highway. It was noted by a number of other posters that this is not uncommon with newer model cars. The headlight alignment doesn't seem outrageous to me when I checked ours.

5. knowledgeseeker

knowledgeseeker New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have the HID lights with the BC package. I have not been "flashed" (but we have yet to use the car much at night). But the low beams look like they are aimed high - there is no clear cutoff of the pattern.

Just how does one go about adjusting the headlight aiming?

6. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I have a #3 and have been flashed quite a bit. I also return with a tap so they realize I'm not a jerk driving with my high beams on. I'm going to mention it when I take it in for it's next service.

7. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G

Ive been flashed during the day. In fact the preson (who also had lights on) switched to full beam on me :guns:

8. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

I find this topic bizarre simply because it exists...
    I don't think that there is any problem with the HIDs on the Prius, for that matter the halogen bulbs. They aren't annoying, in fact I think they look good. I've never been "flashed" before, but my friends say that they are really bright.... The only lights I find annoying are those crappy off white fake xenons that stupid kids put in their ricer civics...

9. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I never flashed for my Prius... but unless aiming off.... More often flashed if equipped with HID... But to me Prius HID is less intense than other Euopean car

10. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Own a silver BC9 and have been flashed on repeated occasions. I believe this is due to the Prius being somewhat more narrow but sitting higher in its stance as a car. Ever park your Prius next to a standard car; Camry or Accord for example, the Prius is much taller and therefore the lights sit higher.
    Also, have noticed that when I park my car at night, the light pattern from the headlights on my garage door is extremely flat. I can almost draw a line straight across the door.

11. exces6

exces6 New Member

Are the HID headlamps just a different type of bulb or is the whole apparatus different? Could you talke a regular Prius to the dealership and have them put in HID bulbs?

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

totally different system, Hi voltage bulbs with there own transformer system and all associated wiring and an electric levelling system that has sensors on the rear axle assy to adjust the internal motor driven levelling system in the headlight assy. Very expensive.

13. canuckican

canuckican New Member

I too drive a Canadian B model 2004.

I get frequent flashes when driving with the low beams on. I too flash quickly to let the other driver know I am not actually high beaming him/her.

The alignment of the lights is FINE. I have to conclude that they are 1) brighter than "normal" lights, 2) pointed a little bit higher than a "normal" car when on low, 3) both of the above. As I have never (knowingly) driven head-on at a Prius at night, I cannot speculate which it is. I would not bother mentioning it to a mechanic as some suggested. Why? Your car is working complelty as designed. Check out what Bill60546 says. I would bet your headlights are extremely level and just the way they were when they left the factory. Sorry those other drivers think you are too bright, but it's not your fault.

14. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

How can I "see what Bill 60546 says" ?? I mean where do I find it?

15. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Scroll up to his post.

16. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I get flashed all the time! Ok when I just read this it sounds like a different topic but I mean i think the Prius headlighs are just bright, they shine a lot further ahead on low beams then my Chevy Venture

17. wwblues

wwblues New Member

Just out of curiosity, those that are being flashed... are you also driving with your fog lights on? Many drivers find that extremely annoying, and will flash for the foglights, not for the headlight brightness.

BillG
    Minneapolis

18. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No Fog Lights on mine

19. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I don't have fog lights either.

20. jsarich

jsarich New Member

I find that I'm getting flashed much more than in earlier cars, and related to this original post immediately. Many cars have flashed and flashed in frustration at my headlights. I usually just flash them back to make sure that they realize that I'm not trying to blind them, although I suppose I'm blinding them in that process lol.