1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting foam tape under dashboard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NC_Prius, Feb 20, 2010.

1. NC_Prius

NC_Prius Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have searched several threads on dashboard rattles and on removing the dashboard (I know -- there are already many of them so I apologize for another one) ... I just have one rattle so far in the dashboard, on the driver's side just to the left of the steering wheel (to the right of the left front window). It's clearly in the dash, not the window trim. Is there a simpler way to get just the top part of the dashboard off in order to insert some foam tape? All of the threads I've seen show a very involved removal of the entire dash, vents, glove compartments, etc, etc.

2. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it's in the little sail window that little vent cover is pretty easy to pull and stick some weather stripping onto. Getting the other major dash panels off is not much fun but not as bad as you fear going in. I found that leftmost A/C vent panel to be the worst, felt like I'd break it before it came loose but all was well. Unfortunately you do have to pull off that, then the bottom panel before you can do the top panel that includes the Power button.

- D

3. NC_Prius

NC_Prius Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah thanks -- it is the top dash that I need to remove, not the sail window area (although it's close to it). The "buzzing" rattle is just to the right of that window in the upper dash. I can even hear the rattle when I tap that section of the dash.

4. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You may find some help in a PDF about installing a stereo in a 2004. Includes pictures.

It's at:

http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/chris-dragon-dash.pdf

Good luck, and let us know if it helped.

5. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  6. NC_Prius

NC_Prius Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, the document didn't show the removal of the part of the dash where mine rattles -- it's the top-most part of the dash. However, after seeing all of the snap-together parts, it's no wonder the dash rattles like it does.