1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting gum off of Backseat driver side door panel

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rosewished, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Rosewished

Rosewished New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I was driving my 2016 Prius c for Lyft and apparently someone decided to wipe gum on my door. (I noticed this too late for Lyft to do anything.) Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this out? I have tried upholstery cleaner, goo-gone, toothbrush and windex to no avail.

Attached Files:

2. good4life

good4life Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You might try to get as cold as possible (towel wrapped ice, maybe) and a stiff brush. Good luck!

3. Rosewished

Rosewished New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I’ll give that a shot and report back.

4. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I once used lighter fluid (naphtha) to get gum out of a cloth car seat. Seemed to work pretty well. Might try that - but do it first in a place that won't be noticed to see if it will discolor the trim.

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Get a can of "computer duster," set the straw into the discharge port, invert the can, and hose down the gum with the extremely cold and reactive liquid spraying forth from the straw.

Then attack it with a moderately stiff tool. it'll click right off, scratch it with something like an old credit card or guitar pick.

The seat will look fine in 10 minutes.

ztanos, good4life and dubit like this.
  6. frenzee

frenzee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If it were on paint, I would say bug and tar remover, but that might melt or discolor the plastic. Try heat gun on the low setting for a couple of seconds, then rub a pinch of flour and try to rub it out with your finger. Clean up the leftover with 409.