1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting home from the Mayo Clinic with my foot propped up.

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Mooharpist, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Mooharpist

Mooharpist New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Happy owner of a 2014 Prius v. (I ended up trading my 2012 v that got into a fender bender with a teenager.)

I am going to the Mayo Clinic to have some rather extensive surgery on my feet. (One foot at a time!) The dr. wants my foot to be "toes to nose" for the first 4 weeks. I live in Oklahoma (Mayo is in Minnesota) and I break up the drive by staying overnight with my parents halfway. I am trying to figure out the best way to transport and still be legal. We have to also carry some luggage and my electric wheelchair (which breaks down into smaller pieces that can be stashed here and there.) Normally I fly (retired airline) but the idea of going through TSA with steel pins sticking out of my foot gives me the willies.

Any thoughts? I've considered strapping myself in with the cargo hooks but don't want to get in trouble with the highway patrol.

Thanks in advance, Moo!

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There should be a service at Mayo that can help you with this. They deal with medical tourists all the time, and transportation requirements have to be something they understand. Maybe there are rental services for wheelchair capable vans. Another thought is to look for websites where people talk about how to equip their handicapped vans.

Considering how long it takes to travel that distance by car, you may find facing air travel the lesser evil. Just be sure to carry extensive documentation about your medical condition. You don't want TSA adding to your problems. If possible, travel at a slack time when the security people are less stressed.

3. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    MooHarpist Over-The-Road by car/van is ~5+ hours to “Mom’s House,” plus ~5+ hours more to your home in OK… equaling ~10+ hours total trip travel time. The trip via the airlines, counting the minutes/hours for advanced arrival for check in and luggage pick-up time at trip’s end… plus the nominal 3.5± hours flight time…plus time for TSA “Gestapo” hassle/screening puts you at around 6-7 hours total time for Departing Mayo “A”/Arriving Oklahoma “B.”

Consider making the trip with your v(vee)… back seats down with an air mattress and pillows for "toes to nose" elevation of your foot… go light on the luggage with the assumption you can fit back there along with the wheel chair parts & pieces… with ~5+ hours at a whack per travel leg, and enjoy the mid-trip stop quality time and visit with your parents.

For the record, you are very smart to have selected going and traveling to Mayo Clinic for the repair surgery on your foot problem. Mayo has a patient-focused, patient care medical treatment culture that I have not observed or experienced in any other medical treatment/hospital healthcare delivery organization. Mayo will have you tap dancing on the table tops in no time. :)

#3 catgic, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  4. Mooharpist

Mooharpist New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We take the v whenever we travel by road. I love Mayo. This will be my 7th surgery there. (I've had -40+ total.) I worked in airline reservations for over 18 years and have retired with lifetime flight bennies for my husband and I. (My picture is me pointing at my name on one of the commemorative planes.) We have always flown and Catgic is right about the times involved. In reality, I'm not too worried about the TSA. I know the people at my home airport and the MSP airport is equipped with the new scanners for casts/braces/prothectics that has been approved by both the veterans groups and Drs. I am more concerned with people bumping my foot (especially the pins). There are also people who make no effort to control thier children. I cannot count the number that I have had to dodge to protect myself.

I like the idea of an air mattress. I'm thinking about a camping one which is narrower. (that I can later use on the couch.) I am wondering about the seat belt laws. My wheelchair came with belts I could maybe attach to the car cargo loops. The wheelchair is super compact. The frame divides in two and I can stash the pieces on the floor. The chair can serve as a foot prop. We are going to play around with logistics this weekend.

Thanks!
    Moo!