1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

getting more than $3 each for old toner and inkjet cartridges?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, Jul 27, 2009.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've got at least one empty old inkjet cartridge and a couple empty old toner cartridges (the drum has probably gone bad long ago). I'm looking to get rid of them but want more than $0 for them. To be clear, the toner cartridges are ones that have toner and drum in one (for HP laser printers).

It looks like Office Depot and Office Max give $3 credit for each (Toner Recycling | Ink Jet Cartridge Recycling at Office Depot and OfficeMax MaxPerks Recycling - About MaxPerks Recycling), Staples gives $3 credit but only towards future ink or tuner purchases (Staples.com | Staples Soul - Recycling). Anyone have better ideas for places to bring them to/send for some credit or money?

I don't mind dropping them off as long as it's the South Bay portion of the SF Bay Area or sending them as long as shipping/postage is covered.

2. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It totally depends on the type of cartridge though the Stapes and Officedepot offers are the way I go. I pass by a Staples on the way to the gym. Four times a month I stop in to stapes and to recycle the max of 3 cartridges a visit (that they pay for for, they take more they just don't pay). They send me $30 coupon each month that I can use for anything.

Since I am turning in canon carts with no built in print head, the offer of $3 each is really good!

3. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bummer, none of them take my Kodak cartridges. Oh well, the Kodak ones are a whale of a lot less expensive than HP, Canon, Epson or any others, I get prepaid mailers to send them in at a number of locations so they don't go into a landfill anyway.

4. jackjroadster

jackjroadster New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    does officemax still do this? for members who've tried this one out.. got bunch of printer ink cartridges here which should just be disposed.

[​IMG]
    ink cartridges

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My printer does not use cartridges, just blocks of solid ink, which melt inside the printer. Xerox claims I generate 20 pounds of waste for every 250 pounds a laser printer generates. (Disclaimer: I install Xerox products)

http://www.office.xerox.com/latest/SLDFS-01U.PDF

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Brother includes a shipping label with their cartridges, so I just mail them back. I don't receive anything, other than the satisfaction of knowing they're reused.

1 person likes this.
  7. jackjroadster

jackjroadster New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    brother's company is really great. they're so easy to deal with. i also mailed my ink cartridges upon reading your post. thanks..

8. olyprius

olyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for bringing this thread back from the graveyard. I have a bucket full of empty cartridges and didn't know they were worth anything till now.

I have a staples rewards card and it looks like they are offering $2 per cartridge up to 10 per month. Still not a bad deal for free stuff I can purchase at staples!

Weird that the staples URL still says $3 ink recycle in it. :confused: