1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting my 2005 HV battery replaced

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jefe, Jun 5, 2013.

1. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At 140K miles, my HV battery started to fail. :(
    First I got the "Hybrid Battery failure" code, then the "Cell 7 lacks strength" code.
    I struggled with what to do. I love my Gen 2, and it has been problem free until this. I test drove a 2013 and really didn't like the "waterfall" console.
    So I decided to look into replacement options. My local dealership quoted $3200 for a new battery. There are options on ebay for $1200 or so. But ultimately I landed on Re-Involt. Since I'm only about 50 minutes away, it seemed like a good solution. Their cost is about $2200 installed.
    They do require that you get on the list. So I called two Fridays ago, and got on the list, and the guy I talked to (Cliff) told me my battery should be ready by the middle of the next week.
    I called them again that week, and he told me it would be the following Monday or Tuesday. I called again on Tuesday (yesterday) and he said it will likely be ready on Thursday.
    Right now, my frustration is with lack of communication. Since I have to take a day off work to drive it and have them install it (4 hrs), I make plans for the time they tell me, only to have to adjust. I kind of expected them to have it down a little more to a science by now, but I certainly don't want them to rush on building my battery.
    While I wait, I have been not driving my Prius, since sometimes it goes into "turtle mode" at unexpected times. When it does, you have to cut it off, wait and then back on and it's back to "normal".
    Anyway.. that's my story (so far) thought I would share in case others find themselves in a similar situation.

JMD and Merkey like this.
  2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry to hear about your trouble with Re-Involt. Everything that I have read about them to date has been nothing but good.

3. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't necessarily say i've had "trouble". He did tell me about a week, and at this point, it's been closer to 3 weeks. There was a holiday in there, so I understand that things happen. I would have appreciated a call every now and then to update the status.

JMD and Merkey like this.
  4. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
  5. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks ovni. Good advice.

6. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another day passed and no word from Re-Involt. I decided to call another dealership in the area, and the quote I got from them is $2700 (plus tax). So a difference of about $600. I've been dead in the water without a car for going on 3 weeks now. I'm starting to consider just going and getting a new battery instead of waiting any longer on Re-Involt. What do you think I should do?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    brand new battery with one year warranty? make sure your fan is clean!

8. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    new battery has 1 year warranty. Re-Involt battery has 18 month warranty. Doubt 6 mos really matters.

9. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And I will DEFINITELY be cleaning out my fan

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hey, if you get another 140k, it'll be worth it!

11. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Called Re-Involt this morning and he told me he would know more around 11 am. I told him I had an estimate from a local dealer that could do it today. He put me on hold, came back and said they could do the install at 10.
    So I'm sitting here now in the waiting area of Taylor Automotive/Re-Involt. He said the install takes about 3.5 hrs. The chairs here are painfully uncomfortable. Wi-fi is painfully slow. But hey.. i'm about to get a "new" battery so I'm happy.

JMD likes this.
  12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good deal ! Nothing like having another competitive offer in your hand :)

13. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Out with the old:
    batt1.jpg

In with the "new":

batt2.jpg

JMD likes this.
  14. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did it get u home?

15. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It did. Triangle of death no more.

kenoarto, dorunron and jdcollins5 like this.
  16. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks jefe. You'll have to give us an update after you've driven it for a while and let us know how you feel it's performing.

JMD likes this.
  17. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great info jefe, like uart said please let us know how the new (remanufactured...) pack works out for you. I would also like to know if it seems that your MPG has improved with different pack. The more feedback the better for all of us.

Glad to hear you are back on the road again.

18. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been driving for a few days now, and I have an update. First, Re-Involt paints their batteries red. It's cute, but it smells. I'm sure the smell will fade, but it's kind of annoying right now. especially considering that no one will ever really see it.
    For the first couple of days, I never saw the battery indicator show a green SOC. I called Re-Involt and asked about that, and he told me basically that the "idiot lights" don't always match the actual performance. :rolleyes:
    I did finally see a green SOC after a couple of days, so it may have just been coincidence and I was scrutinizing it more than usual.
    Finally, I expected my mpg's to bounce back quickly, and that just hasn't been the case. Ordinarily I get 43-45 mpg. Toward the end, my mpg's were dropping to around 40. then, when my battery died, I drove it for a bit, and it was getting around 32-35. Now, with the "new" battery and a full tank of gas, I'm seeing 38mpg so far. On trips that used to soar above 50mpg, I barely touched 50 on one 5 min. interval.
    Again, this may be over-scrutinizing, and coincidental. I'll just have to keep watching it. But I'm starting to kind of worry that I made the wrong call. Maybe Luscious is right and the gen2 cells are not worth rebuilding from anymore.

Paresh Trivedi and JMD like this.
  19. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Jefe, just give it some time and see how it goes. Did u check your air pressure lately? I run 42 in the front and 40 in the back.
    Good luck

20. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Jefe, you have to remember it takes a few cycles for the MFD and the computers to settle down when the 12 volt is disconnected. I have a feeling that after a few tanks of gas that your mileage should be as good if not better than before you had the traction battery changed. When I put the new 12 volt in our Prius in January, it took a good three tanks of fuel before the MPG came back to the normal numbers. Give it some more time. Feedback from other's who have done what you did was always good... YMMV

Good luck!

Ron

uart likes this.