1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting my Prius soon.. advice?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by liznowen, Jun 8, 2007.

1. liznowen

liznowen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So I'm finally on my way back to California and I've been exchanging emails with several dealerships in the Orange County area to find the best deal. I should be ready to buy on Wednesday.

I wanted a package #3 but was told they were unavaliable in Southern California so I had to choose between #2 or #5. I had to go with #5.

The best quote I've gotten is $24,499 "out the door" (not sure what that does or doesn't include). That sounds like a fairly good deal to me. Is it? Anyone know?

And does anyone have any general tips for a first time new car buyer?

Thanks!

2. noelty

noelty Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(liznowen @ Jun 7 2007, 10:54 PM) [snapback]457865[/snapback]</div>

Out the door? Tax & license included? Which delaership?

3. liznowen

liznowen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(noelty @ Jun 8 2007, 02:21 AM) [snapback]457871[/snapback]</div>

It didn't sound quite right to me, either so I asked what exactly that included and didn't include.

I believe it's Toyota of Whittier, though.

4. GoEco

GoEco Red Prii Rule

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(liznowen @ Jun 7 2007, 10:54 PM) [snapback]457865[/snapback]</div>
    Negotiate the total price and not the payment. They'll try to throw payments in front of you and just lengthen the loan/lease terms. I also think that dealing with the Internet group found me the best prices. If not them, then Fleet pricing through Costco or AAA.

5. liznowen

liznowen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GoEco @ Jun 8 2007, 01:48 AM) [snapback]457893[/snapback]</div>

Thank you.

I plan on paying in full so I won't be negotiating any financing or payments, thank god.

6. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(liznowen @ Jun 8 2007, 10:06 AM) [snapback]458109[/snapback]</div>
    The car has a ton of gadgets. Make sure they go over them with you before you leave the lot. Look the car over good for any dents or dings. When you sign that paper you are accepting the car as it is on the lot. If you later find a ding or minor dent, it is very hard to prove it was like that before you left the lot.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(liznowen @ Jun 8 2007, 12:54 AM) [snapback]457865[/snapback]</div>
    Look at www.carbuyingtips.com and an "out the door" price includes the car, all government taxes and fees, and all dealer added or inflated fees. Know what the state collects for title and registration fees. Does it make sense to transfer your existing plates? Ask for an explanation of everything on the sales agreement. If it doesn't sound right, negotiate. If you still aren't comfortable, walk. Pick it up during the day with lots of light. Defects hide in the shadows.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Even though you're almost done buying one, Consumer Reports (website or the magazine's annual April car issue in libraries) still has some useful car buying advice.

Before you take delivery read the checklist at http://www.vfaq.net/docs/pickup_checklist.html . Take a copy when you pick it up.

9. liznowen

liznowen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Jun 9 2007, 12:30 PM) [snapback]458726[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for the help, guys. :)