1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting new tires tomorrow

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tacomel, Sep 22, 2006.

1. tacomel

tacomel New Member

Tomorrow, the tires on both of our Prii are being upgraded to Goodyear ComforTreds. The mileage on the OEM integrities being taken off are 3000 and 4600 respectively.

Question: is it worthwhile at all to hang on to the old tires instead of just leaving them at the shop? I really don't see that we'd have them put back on, ever, since the tires we're getting are all-weather. Could I get any money for these at all, either here, on eBay, or elsewhere? (I'm not asking anyone here to buy them, but asking if there is a chance that anyone would want to buy them.)

I know a lot of folks have upgraded and would appreciate the advice. Thanks in advance.

2. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I can't help with selling the Integrities; I'm in the same boat, but with 14,000 miles.

But, I'd really appreciate your first impressions of the ComforTreds before I switch.

Thanks,

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think with the mileage on that you have, they're not woth too much or of much value keeping. I just put new Integrity's on that I bought from somebody here last year. They were brand new, he replaced the tires when he first got the car, and I only paid $25 a piece for them. I'd be interested in doing a deal like that again but only for new tires that just came off a new car.

4. BobZ

BobZ New Member

I just put Comfortreds on my 2000 mile '06 .. I asked the tire guy, "Are they worth ten bucks a piece off the bill" He said OK. So at least I didn't have to put them in my clean new car. They are smoother and quieter. I notice the quietness in stealth mode the most. The car doesn't feel as "squirrely" What I mean by that is this car gave me the feeling like going over a steel deck bridge at times. Slightly, but yes it was not a good feel. The tires fixed that. I think this is what they are all chasing with that BT brace. Smoother, quieter and control. Not enormously so but noticable in all three respects. As for mileage. It seems to have dropped 2-3 MPGs. Not terrible. I guess all in all it was a good move.

5. auart

auart Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Taco Mel @ Sep 22 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]323600[/snapback]</div>

Don't let the dealer just have them or pay you $10....You can and will get more on ebay or here if you will just post them 4sale.
    While alot of the people here don't like them for small reasons, they are still almost new tires and you can find someone that needs a good deal...
    At least call your church or churches in your area to see if anyone in hard times needs tires. They will fit other vehicles!
    just a thought.

By the way, you guys really put a whippin on us in the Bowl game in January! I will be rooting for Wisconsin every week! The fans that came south for the Bowl game were very classy folks!
    War Eagle!
    AUBURN

6. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I had about 700 miles on my Integrity tires when I sold 'em. I put an ad on Craigslist and got a response in about a day. I sold the four for $100.

7. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(auart @ Sep 22 2006, 08:06 PM) [snapback]323662[/snapback]</div>
    I work in the car business and that tire wholesales for $43 each my cost. Selling them on ebay and having to ship them makes the buyers cost delivered pretty much the same as new and is also a pain in the a#* s for the seller. Who needs to be bothered dragging them home in your clean new car take pics, post on ebay drag 'em to the post office. To get maybe another ten bucks a tire.... <_< <_< <_<

8. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Guess why some folks will happily buy Integrity's removed by Prius owners switching to other brands... they know, by reading this forum, that the stock tires are the only ones that consistently give you top mpgs. I switched to Goodyear Viva2s and instantly dropped 2-3 mpgs. If shippings costs were lower I would gladly buy your tires.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't remember the mileage, but going into my second winter I switched tires. Maybe 4,000 or 5,000 miles. The tire store gave me something in trade. Not a lot, but better than keeping the old ones that I'd never use in the garage. I don't remember. Maybe $100 for the four.

While shipping tires would be expensive, you might be able to sell them locally, if it's too late to do a trade-in at the tire store.

10. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Sep 23 2006, 01:18 PM) [snapback]323927[/snapback]</div>
    And if YOU keep reading THIS forum you'll also read loads of complaints about very poor wet/snow/ice traction especially after just one year of wear on the Integrities. Others complain about the tracking an handling and go chasing after a placebo floor brace. Yet other don't like the noise factor the hard riding integtiies have. But when I slip on a wet road with brand new tires on a brand new car the tires are gone. :eek: :eek: :eek: Optimal mileage you say.....do you think she cares if the car gets 51 or 54............????

Attached Files:

• Sept.jpg
      Sept.jpg
      File size:
      57.3 KB
      Views:
  11. Abq Richard

Abq Richard New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I recently had to replace a tire and thought about upgrading. At Discount tires, they offered me $30 per tire for my 3 good Integrities with about 5500 miles on them.

12. Claudia

Claudia New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abqrichard @ Sep 23 2006, 04:32 PM) [snapback]324007[/snapback]</div>
    I think you're doing good, in that case. We swapped the Integritys off for a set of 205/60/15 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S this week - what an improvement they are! Don't know about mileage impact yet - with the OEM tires, we got around 47 mpg average between city/highway but we just got the car in August. We find we get better mpg on the highway, just as with a standard car - possibly because the in-town driving we do is very short distances, maybe 5-10 minutes at the time.

We kept the Integritys. They have right around 1300 miles on them, and we're hoping to sell them either locally or through Craigslist. I'd be happy if I could get $100 for them, and that doesn't sound impossible.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abqrichard @ Sep 23 2006, 04:32 PM) [snapback]324007[/snapback]</div>
    I think you're doing good, in that case. We swapped the Integritys off for a set of 205/60/15 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S this week - what an improvement they are! Don't know about mileage impact yet - with the OEM tires, we got around 47 mpg average between city/highway but we just got the car in August. We find we get better mpg on the highway, just as with a standard car - possibly because the in-town driving we do is very short distances, maybe 5-10 minutes at the time.

We kept the Integritys. They have right around 1300 miles on them, and we're hoping to sell them either locally or through Craigslist. I'd be happy if I could get $100 for them, and that doesn't sound impossible.

13. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Michelin Hydroedge (a bit noisy) and X-Radial (sold only through club stores like Costco) are more highly rated by Consumer Reports (11/05 issue) than the ComforTreds, and the X-Radial was given very high marks for rolling resistance. If you prefer Goodyear, the TripleTreds (the top-rated tire in CR) don't come in 185/65/R15 size--but the 190/60/R15 will fit on the Prius rims. ComforTreds are much liked by many Prius owners, so they are a good choice--I just wanted to let you know that there are other (maybe "better") options out there.