1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting ready to get my 1st Prius - seat comfort ?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by jungleland1972, Aug 29, 2017.

1. jungleland1972

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    All, I am getting ready to get my 1st Prius and test drove a 2017 Prius 4 (and a Prime). I am now thinking of getting a Prius 2 (for cost reasons and I don't really need the Nav), but am concerned about the seat comfort (I liked the adjustable lumbar support in the 4 I drove).

I was wondering for those that have a Prius 2, if they have had any issues with the comfort of the seat, especially after long drives. It's something I might not be able to pick up on during a 10 minute test drive.

Thanks and this forum has been great for my research.

2. CoolPrius

CoolPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This is a difficult question to answer because of peoples different shapes and sizes but I've found the seats to be very comfortable. Toyota basically did a total redesign with the seat angle/position in this car. Instead of sitting on top of the seat you sit IN in. It feels more sporty and appears to put less pressure on your backbone in particular. I've had a few two hour drives and came out pretty refreshed. I have the manual seat adjustment.

I haven't had the need for the extra lumbar support but Toyota Japan has a nice pillow designed specifically for this seat.

P.s. If you need more seat time you could line up a couple test drives or check with the dealer/rental agency for an extended drive.

RCO likes this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In my Trim Two I find the seats uncomfortable on long trips. Perhaps the higher trims have better seats.
    As already stated this appears to be an individual decision.
    If I were looking for a car now I might consider the 2018 hybrid Camry LE that has the same EPA mileage as the Prius. With rebates and incentives some find the Prius Prime a good option.

RCO, bisco and CoolPrius like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are many threads here about seat comfort. if you cannot rent one for a long trip, at least get the higher package. even then, it can be a very expensive mistake. and virtually irreversible.

Princer, RCO and CoolPrius like this.
  5. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    +1 on renting one to try out the drivers seat. I love the adjustable pleather on my 4 touring. Great for me, even on long trips. I had a rental for a week with cloth seats (base model 3 I think) and found the seats uncomfortable. Too small, short cushions, no lumbar support, and decided I would not buy this car. Try before you buy

RCO likes this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you notion difference between 3 and 4. I suspected that Softex seats were different. If that is the case the 2 and 3 share the same seat design.

I had assumed the seats were all the redesigned ones Toyota promoted. You are the first to confirm my suspicions.

7. Just.Drive.It.

Just.Drive.It. New Member

Here, There, Everywhere. Driving my Prius!
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Take the PAIN! And just drive it.

Nobody buys a Prius for comfort, do they?
    No! It's all about gas mileage! Repeat after me… MPG! MPG! MPG! :D

Gas mileage. The Holy Grail of our measly existence! We live it, we breathe it, we eat it, we smoke it, we analyze it, we dissect it, we argue about it, we brag about it, we chart it, we log it, we graph it, we put it on fuely.com. We even dream about it! We never take our eyes off of that mpg display! Who cares if we are a distracted driver! Always watch those MPGs! We even have a whiteboard in our kitchen, and can't wait to get home and write our gas mileage on the board. MPG! USA!

They could put a cement block in that Prius for a seat, and make that car as ugly as possible, and people would STILL buy it just for the MPG!
    If you are a smaller person, like a 5'4" man who weighs 119 pounds dripping wet, that Prius seat will fit you like a well worn glove. But if you are a manly man, over 6 feet tall to 6'5" tall, and weigh over 190 pounds, you may have a problem with comfort. Go on a DIET! Or buy a REAL vehicle, like a Toyota Tundra! Leave the Prius to the little wimpy dudes. :ROFLMAO:

Oh, you asked about seat comfort, right? Well, it pretty much sucks. And all the Prius seats are the exact same size, the same design, the same measurements. The only difference is the cloth seats feel a little thinner, where as the softex seats feel a hair more padded. The fake leather seems a bit more thicker. I called Toyota and ask them. They said all Prius have the exact same seat! And yes, the higher trim models have the lumbar support, but the thing just feels like a board sticking in my back! And some people complain how hot that softex gets in the warm weather. You can't please everybody! o_O

So the bottom line is, you'll either love those seats or despise them. But the heck with the seats. It's all about MPG!!! Man up! Take the pain! :mad:

Prius drivers need to quit their bellyaching! These forums are full of complaints! Why the hell did they buy the car in the first place? The darn little wimps!

Just drive it. (Or take a bus) :LOL:

#7 Just.Drive.It., Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Princer and RCO like this.
  8. jungleland1972

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Interesting thought on the heat of the softex seats. This car will be our first that won't be in a garage when not in use so that's something else to add into the equation. Thank you all for the advice.

RCO likes this.
  9. bbunge

bbunge Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Savannah, Ga. to Harrisburg, Pa. With no discomfort. 13 hours if I remember but I make a point to stop for a stretch every 2 hours. 2016 Prius 2.

P01M ?

RCO likes this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    See what I mean? It is very subjective.
    The longest trip so far was from Virginia to Michigan & back. The return trip was done non-stop. Sitting on added padding helped with discomfort.

Princer likes this.
  11. djSyndrome

djSyndrome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prius Two here. Drove from Seattle to Sacramento and back with zero issues. Early 40s, 6' and just on the wrong side of 200 lbs. YMMV, of course, but I found them great for long stints. The kids (one in the front and one in the back) had zero complaints as well.

Compared to my wife's Outback, whose seats are much softer but I can never seem to get 'just right' for the long drive, even with power adjustments and lumbar support.

RCO likes this.
  12. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's what I found to improve the seat comfort (not just in my Gen II, but I used them in my Corolla DX Wagon):

…the only problem is that the monofil used in their construction has a tendency to snap, but is easily fixed by re-stringing with thin parachute cord or Mason-line!
    BTW: Welcome to PriusChat! :)

13. CoolPrius

CoolPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  14. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've made two very long trips so far this year and I'll be taking a third next week. 13+ hours in the seat on each trip. Before this car, I had a Chevy Malibu. In that car, by backside needed an adjustment every twenty to thirty minutes on long trips. I was constantly squirming. In the Prius, this is not the case. I don't physically hurt. The bad thing is that I don't move around enough and I feel the pain when I get out of the car.

15. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I thought the seats were a bit uncomfortable at first, but after taking a drive roughly 650 miles or so, 10+ hours I changed my mind. Both my brother and I are large guys, but both of us were rather impressed at the seat comfort. I still had to do my usual 2 - 2.5 hour stretch stops but I have to do this in any car that I take a longer road trip (camry, caravan, suv, ect.) By the way I have manual cloth seats, not the touring or 4 version softex

RCO likes this.
  16. jungleland1972

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks again all! I ended up switching gears and going with the mid level Prius Prime that has the 8 way adjustable seat. I would like to tell you how comfortable it was on the way home but the passenger side rear tire went completely flat 3 miles out from the dealership (and it was 8:45 at night) so that sucked.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! (y) and bummer.:(

18. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 4G seats are far more comfortable than the 2G seats. I did add a small lumbar support cushion for the comfort of the 2 vertebrae I fractured when I totaled my 2G.

CoolPrius and RCO like this.
  19. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to I survived your G2 'total' and wondered if you were flying low at the time. :whistle:

pilotgrrl likes this.
  20. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just home from San Diego, in the midst of an exceptionally brutal heat wave. All temp records shattered. After driving a M***** **5 for a few days I have to say it feels great to be back in my 4 touring. Smooth fast and now have more appreciation for the amazing seats in my car.

RCO likes this.