1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

getting some new paint...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by galaxee, Aug 7, 2007.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    while we were in madison last month, our car got keyed down most of the passenger side :(

[​IMG]
    image courtesy of efusco, i think he was the only one who could manipulate his camera well enough to get the shot.

it went in to the body shop today. we dropped it off at 7 this morning, and when i came back at 6 to retrieve my university parking permit, i saw the work they'd done to it so far. and holy crap, i mean, i know it's in the process of being fixed but it was sad. my car looks all messed up with paint all sanded down all the way down the side, door handles gone, windows covered, and some stuff on it curing in the sun. i wanted to take a picture, but not... i didn't have any kind of camera with me anyway.

they're painting it tomorrow, and putting it back together the day after. we should have it back in a couple days.

so far the insurance (allstate) has been great. set up the adjuster appointment for a few days after we got back, she was pretty nice actually. their estimate was about $30 off from the body shop estimate, so all is well. we got to use whatever body shop we wanted. insurance is paying for a rental until we get the car back, i'm in a dodge avenger. so far i'm not a huge fan of it, but it'll get me to work and back a couple times.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Great to hear that it's getting taken care of. It truly was an asinine act.

Think of the Avenger as a reminder why you love the Prius.

3. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What was the estimate for a repair like that?

4. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    $1029 from the body shop. if the vandal had gotten the fender, it would have been higher. plus about $100 for the car rental during the repair.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm curious -- before you put it in for the work, was there any rust
    forming around the scrape in the shortish intervening time? I'm
    curious just how "rust-resistant" the body parts are... while I was
    down at autobeyours and helping load the trailerful of dead parts,
    I saw fairly typical rust at spots where the paint was missing, but
    of course these had been sitting out in his yard for who knows how
    long. [complete HF dump here, in case you didn't see the other link]
    _H*

6. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Can you not catch a break?!?!? :(

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    no rust on it, hobbit. not sure more than a few little spots made it down to the metal, most was down to the primer according to the guy who did our estimate.

i'm starting to think we just don't get any breaks. that or we're in for a lot of them in the future. or something. i just try not to think about it.

we'll have to take the avenger to DH's procedure tomorrow morning at the hospital more or less 40 miles away, so we'll see how this thing does on gas mileage. no, i don't want to know. yes, Tony, this is quite the reminder.

8. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    God, what is wrong with people. I hope they get it fixed up perfectly for you.

As for rust, the steel will get a coating of surface rust pretty fast. Its galvanized though, so anything beyond that is not likely.

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    got the car back today, i'm so relieved to dump off that avenger.

i think it looks good, there are a couple of *very* light scratches in the clear coat which i'm guessing made it there while they were wiping the dust away. DH is off visiting family, he can't work and doesn't want to just sit around at home. so when he gets back he'll take a look at it, and if he wants it to go back they'll take it back and repaint it. the guys there really stand behind their work.

i'm thinking it'll look fine once we throw some sealant on it in 2 months.