1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting stuck behind an 18 wheeler at a red light is fun only in a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Sal43, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Sal43

Sal43 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I love it when I have a full or almost full battery and get stuck behind an 18 wheeler at a red light.
    I can accelerate very gently without turning on the ice with everyone blaming the 18 wheeler instead of "The Prius Guy". I can usually go 1 to 1.5 miles before I force the ice to turn on when I get to 3 bars.
    In my other cars it's actually sucks because of the much higher torque of my other cars, what is gentle acceleration for them is actually moderate acceleration for my Prius.

2. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Exactly! There are many good reasons to drive behind an 18-wheeler. For the most part, their operators are trained professionals with a commercial drivers license. In heavy traffic they tend to figure out the average speed and stay on it without constantly going from brakes to accelerator. They block the wind in front and create a partial vacuum behind so you can slipstream in their wake on reduced power. They can see the traffic ahead better than you can. And no speeding driver is ever going to cut in front of you- that alone is worth it to me. And like you said, the truck gets blamed for slowing down the traffic, not you. One or two other readers may have their own reasons or dissenting opinions.

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bob Wilson had his own vision of driving his 1st Gen Prius. LOL
    upload_2019-6-13_7-31-52.png

Pluggo and Montgomery like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm glad the pip has the extra filtration button when i'm behind any diesel that's trying to get up to speed (y)

5. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Many are total goobers behind the wheel, so don't count on top quality driving out of all of them.

And on the flip side, there are good reasons not to. They tend to kick up rocks and gravel from the side of the road with their wake, which isn't kind to your windshield. And, they tend so slow down on uphills and speed up on downhills, more so that you will typically want to do. There is no guarantee that you will get increased mileage in their wake - you need to be in the dead spot which typically tucks you right up behind them. Too far back, and you're in their turbulence which is typically more drag than clean air. Lastly, I don't want to stare at the back of a truck. I'd prefer to see the scenery.

#5 jb in NE, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    yiujai86 and Johnny Cakes like this.
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Reason not to is the amount of gravel those trucks kicks out into your radiator and bottom bumper lip. I drive country side and trucks galore made me plasti dip the bottom lip.

7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    True enough, but I'm more wary of the mechanical condition of the truck, which is why I always try to get in front of them on the highway. Ever see any retreads on the side of the road?
    Also, if I'm behind them I can't see any potential hazards in front of them until it may be too late...

Johnny Cakes and jb in NE like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can stay far enough back to avoid the hazards, and no one will want to pull in front of you. that's a perk

RMB likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've seen them bounce off my windshield, fender, and hood from trailers in the next lane.

RRxing and Prodigyplace like this.