1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting the waterpump and steering column recall work done. Should I get anything else done?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ryan Bennett, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Ryan Bennett

Ryan Bennett Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey everyone.

I'm taking my '09 Prius in soon for the waterpump and steering column recall. Is there anything else I should have done when everything is apart for the water pump? My car has 54K on it.

Thanks!

Ryan

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Have you ever changed the transaxle fluid with new ATF WS?

I would. One failure mode for the transaxle is metal shavings shorting out the Motor Generators. Clean new fluid may help.

3. Ryan Bennett

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is that only possible to do when the waterpump is out though?

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No.

It is an easy two person DIY job (4 quarts of ATF WS and 2 crush washers for the fill and drain plugs, 3 foot long funnel and correct wrenches/bits) so long as you can make one of the people fit under the car. (ramps, jacks, etc.)

Reconditioning a Toyota Prius - Changing the CVT Transmission Fluid | NotPetroleum Blog

As a dealer service, it may run about $100 to $125.

If I was in charge of Toyota's Service intervals, I would make it a 30,000 mile change, then every 60,000 miles after that. (Most wear happens early) I am not in charge.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you already know if they are replacing the steering?

6. Ryan Bennett

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, there's been a recall on the steering shaft knuckle for 04-09 models in the last couple of weeks. I looked up on Toyota's website too just to make sure.

7. Ryan Bennett

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the great idea about the transaxle fluid. My car only has 55,000 miles on it though. When I had Volvos I 'd change the tranny fluid every 30,000. Should I do it now then?

8. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The general concensus on PC is that you should drain and fill the transaxle every 60k. Don't listen to the stealer if he tells you it needs a flush, because that is basically impossible on this model.

Ryan Bennett likes this.
  9. bugly64

bugly64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Has anybody been notified by Toyota or their dealer and had this recalled performed?

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bugly,

From what I have seen and heard here on PC, it seems that the folks in the UK are able to get the work done. As far as those in the USA, it seems that the powers to be are holding back. One poster joked that maybe they are waiting to see what happens on 12/21. Word from the local dealer here is they know about it, but do not have the parts and at this time have advised me to wait for the letter from Toyota. No letter here yet.

You are not the first to ask this question. I have basically asked the same thing in another post.

Ron

11. bugly64

bugly64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    thanks, Ron

12. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here's some more info for you, might help to share all I have with you and others. I found this here on PC. Read the pdf that is attached. It gives the lowdown on the recall straight from the horses mouth.

If you find this useful and you like it, please click the "like" button.

Ron

Attached Files:

imOCD4a_prius likes this.
  13. Ryan Bennett

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can go to the recall section on Toyota's website. When I did, I entered my VIN number and was notified specifically that my car was included in the waterpump and steering column recall.

14. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    *******My Dealer Earl Stewart Toyo. in West Palm called me a week ago left 3 messages & 2 e-mails !! How's that !! I will wait until after Christmas. I NOW HAVE 65,k on my "Dream-super-go cart" I guess that means I should get the trans done ?? Ouch if that's $125.00 but i better have it done.
    Everyone, I'm getting 52._MPG since I filled last week in orlando, fl. I'm now on the coast and have gone 388miles w/ 3 pips left

Ryan Bennett likes this.
  15. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since the Serpentine belt has to come off, like mine did when I had my water pump replaced last week, it was frayed and cracked. Time to replace. Since things were already apart, all it cost was the cost of the belt! No labor to charge. That's a deal! If yours is still fine, all the better! If not, do it now!

Ryan Bennett likes this.
  16. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don,

It would be a very good idea to have the transaxle drained and refilled. Don't fall for a trans flush that some folks offer. To service the transaxle on your Prius, you simply drain and refill with the correct Toyota fluid. The cost should be around $125 or maybe a little more depending on the labor charge. It takes just about 4 quarts of the correct Toyota fluid (can't remember the actual part name) to fill the transaxle. Just had ours done by Tejas Toyota a couple of months ago. No problems to report on this end concerning the service.

Good luck to you and I hope this information helps you.

Ron

17. Prius504

Prius504 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We just had both of these recalls taken care of yesterday and the car pulls badly to the right now. I asked if an alignment was part of the recall and the service writer said "I don't know". I'll have to call them and have them fix it. What was your experience with your alignment? Was it ok after the recall?
    Thanks, Mike.

18. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When they replace the steering shaft they do not affect the alignment but they may need to carry out a zero point calibration to the power steering ECU. The power steering motor could be powering you into a steering angle that is not strait ahead.

tomcornell likes this.
  19. Ryan Bennett

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you for sharing that. I was wondering about that.

20. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    [quote="
    "We just had both of these recalls taken care of yesterday and the car pulls badly to the right now.
    Thanks, Mike.[/quote]

Now your Prius pulls badly to the right, because you took it in to fix a perfectly fine steering column.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it...
    My brother has 220k miles on his 2008 Prius without ever having any work done on the steering column or water pump,I know alot of Prius owners with 150k-175k miles with no work on the steering column or water pump.
    Enjoy your Prius, put lots of miles on it and don't be PARANOID.