1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting to the mic?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rstark18, Feb 2, 2010.

1. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ANyone know how to get to the mirophone? I want to take that area apart to check the mic and make sure nothing is obstructing it. It sound absolutely horrible as is.

2. ScottG10

ScottG10 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thats probably worth investigating since I've beeen told our Prius is the best sounding my cell phone has ever been.

3. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ya, and I'd rather do it myself than have the dealer do it because I actually care about my car.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Make sure your center vents are not pointing up and blowing into the mic. Someone moved my vents on me, without me knowing. People out of nowhere were saying how I sounded like crap to them. Then I noticed the vents pointing up at the overhead console and lowering them made my calls go back to sounding fine...

5. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No. I even did a test call from my garage with the car off (in standby). It still sounds like I'm speaking through a 10ft section of PVC pipe.

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, make sure your moonroof is closed ;)

7. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So can anyone help with the take-apart?

8. janice45

janice45 Dudley Girl

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi
    I had the dealership take the console down to check the mic because everyone said I sounded miles away.
    Leave it be!!!
    1 it was hard to get down
    2 you can break the track that holds the clips that holds the console up to the roof
    3 mic is on the passenger side away from the driver that might be why we sound so far away
    there is no fix for the mic distortion or the low volume ,sometimes it is the phone .
    I would think twice about yanking this thing down though but if you do Good luck

9. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you try to pair a different phone to see if it was the phone and not the car's mic?

10. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No I didn't. I will try that with my wife's phone (a simple Samsung) and report back.

I friend of mine is a mechanic at the local dealer. I have enough experience to know that if you want something done carefully you shouldn't have the dealer do it. On the other hand they are usually very good at fixing anything THEY break (clips, etc.) if you bring it to their attention. For that reason I wanted to do it myself because I can take the time to pull it apart correctly. I just don't know where to start. I don't really want my buddy doing it as he doesn't have the most delicate hands (but he's great with engines).

11. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Take Apart Guide?

Does anyone know how to take the overhead console area (overhead light console) apart? I'm trying to get to the microphone and don't want to break any clips. Thanks.

12. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    In another thread talking about changing out the map light bulbs a user mentions how to drop the whole overhead console if one is afraid of breaking the clips on the map light menses. I guess the mic would be visible once the whole unit is removed...

13. ralfaro

ralfaro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My wife has the same issue with the microphone. She has a Blackberry Curve paired up and the BT hands-free ounds like crap. We already did the increase in mic volume via the hidden service menu described in another thread. Bumped it up to 5 but still sounds pretty bad. Not really distorted but more like a really poor quality microphone. We've pretty much given up on it. I don't think it is the phone as there are far too many complaints from others on PC with the same bad experience with the microphone. She still uses it of course, but she's growing tired of people telling her how difficult it is to understand her sometimes.

14. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's a great start thanks. I got that first piece off but can't get the "console" to budge. I have a sunroof so I wonder if that changes the disassembly technique. I'll track down the OP of that thread.

15. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I really think it comes down to the OEM supplier Toyota used. Probably the people that are not having issues got a different supplier. I'm sure Toyota uses a few different suppliers.

16. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I tried my wife's cheap Samsung phone and it actually sounded better than my iPhone. I'm now rethinking this as it might be a phone issue. That sure would explain why some are experiencing this and others are not.

17. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm curious. My brother has a TCH and his blackberry sounds awful on that mic (I'm guessing its the same). I'd love him to get it fixed, if there is a mic, or location replacement. I put in an aftermarket pioneer nav in which looks like its got an inexpensive mic, but the first couple of people I asked said I sounded fine on my iphone (3GS).

18. ralfaro

ralfaro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Interesting, maybe it is the phone then. My phone is a Samsung Intrepid. I think I'll pair mine up and have my wife use it instead of her Blackberry for a day and see if there is any difference. I'll report back if I can get her to give up her Blackberry for a day! (lol)

19. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III