1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

getting your mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by feethanddooth, Mar 1, 2005.

1. feethanddooth

feethanddooth New Member

is there a way to get your over all mpg from the computer? ive hit reset so may times and have not recorded it that i have no idea where i stand over all. thanks

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I love your signature. I smile every time I look at it.

I hope you smile too. I hope you smile a lot. I hope you don't stop smiling when you read that any tank information not recorded is lost for ever. Sorry.

Have I mentioned that I love your signature?

Smile.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Many different people have as many different ways to record their overall mileage. You can click on my mileage in my signature and see the excel spreadsheet I use. If you like it, I can email it to you.

When I get gas, I write on the receipt the tank mileage from ODO2 and the MFD's reported mileage. The gas receipt itself has printed on it the number of gallons and the date. I use those four pieces of information to populate the database. Oh yeah, of course I reset the ODO2 and the MFD before I leave the gas station.

You might want to build a spreadsheet of your own with your own level of detail.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I see a lot of variability between the computer and the pump. I have to say that in Washington the State trust the pump repair and installation technicians to set up the pumps in our state. I have no idea who they work for. The state have very few inspectors to check pumps and they check pumps infrequently. One of the pumps I use has no sticker at all other have inspection stickers that are 3-5 years from today's date. I have little trust in the pump gallons, and after several calls to the State Department of Agriculture they really don't care either. So believe what you will.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Henry, its the State Weights and Measures that is responsible for calibrating gas pumps and mandates say it will be done every 3 years for every pump in the state.

well as you know by now, that aint gonna happen. the entire state has 9 inspectors and they pretty much only do complaints now. they do regular inspections if they have no complaints, but i reported a pump on the west side arco by the courthouse and was told that they were about 6-10 weeks behind in getting to the complaints. i filed the complaint in sept and still have not heard a thing.

i determined the pump was shorting people by the computer reading being significantly over 3 times in a row. i guess that is how the station can get away with being the cheapest in town.

btw. at any other pump, the computer reading is high one time, low the next. you can see by my signature that over time, there seems to be little difference in the readings as the averages overcome the most likely less than full tank the car was delivered with.

also... most recent inspection sticker i have seen in the state of WA... june 2000

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "Henry, its the State Weights and Measures that is responsible for calibrating gas pumps and mandates say it will be done every 3 years for every pump in the state" That is correct but I called them and they are part of the Department of Agriculture. I called them when one of the stations I used installed new pumps and there were no stickers at all on the pumps. It may average but I don't trust them.