1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ghost image on Speedmeter? An explaination, maybe

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jzhou, Mar 15, 2010.

1. jzhou

jzhou Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was cleaning the dashboard yesterday and I found the speedmeter, fuel gauge assembly actually is sitting flat on the floor of the center dashboard. That means, what we see is a mirror image of the real thing. I mean, there is a mirror in the center dashboard. Why they were designed this way? Maybe to reduce the light refection. But, that will explain the ghost image we see on the speedmeter because it is a image from the mirror, there is reflection from both layer of the glass mirror. So there is a ghost image if you watch from an angle. Basic physics. Just my 2 cents, do not have the repair manual, so do not know if it is really true. Have to see the real design diagram.

2. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, it is reflected p from deep down in the dash. While I do not recall which post on this forum has the diagram, I know that this is there.

As for the reason for the reflected image, among others is that by having it deeper in the dash, your eyes will not need to refocus as much to see it, making for a quicker eye adjustment from the focal length of the road when compared to that of the display.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

I haven't looked much at the 2010, but the Gen2 (04-09) is designed this way - the combo meter is below the level of the dash and the info from the combo meter is projected onto a mirror where you see it as you drive the car.

Two reasons -1. the packaging of the car; it would be impossible for the electronics of the combo meter to fit in the area where you see it. 2. The optics are designed so that you focus further away with your eyes; so the transition from the road to the speedo it not as abrupt as it is in most vehicles.