1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ghostwriters

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by airportkid, Jul 31, 2011.

1. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    From time to time we see accusations that a particular comment or posting was "paid": its writer not writing his own opinion but propaganda for which he gets a few cents per post.

I've been skeptical jobs like that actually exist for the main reason that most posts or comments I see accused of being paid are usually so raving and alienating they defeat their own purpose.

But I hunted around Google for awhile, looking for these sorts of jobs, and did find some, but the job descriptions call for postings of a different sort than the ones people think are paid:

First and foremost, paid comments contain links back to client sites, to drive up traffic and (presumably) increase advertising revenue for the client.

Second, paid comments are brief, fewer than 100 words. Paid comments is a volume business, putting as many comments as possible into as many sites as possible: trawling with a wide net to catch the most fish. Spending time ranting 500 words isn't cost effective. The ads I saw wanted fast typists, not deep thinkers.

I didn't find much out there. This is not a career opportunity. I doubt very much the postings here and in other threads are paid commentary to the degree many might think.

But if anyone finds evidence this kind of activity is widespread, and a full-time career, I'd be curious to see it.

2. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    While I'm sure what you describe exists I think the bigger problem is a bit more subtle - essentially bloggers and others out there - typically these are people who already have a loyal following - who are influenced by things like gift certificates or other relatively small incentives.

I do not remember all of the details, but I believe that about 6 months back there was a story about women who run mommy blogs being given an Amazon gift certificate to make some number of mentions in their blog about the Toyota Sienna minivan. It was not a big $ amount, something between $10 and $50. I believe that it was traced back to a market research or PR firm that had no direct tie to Toyota.

These sorts of things are pretty prevalent out there - maybe not a gift certificate but other benefits aimed more at the traditional press. Press/publicity trips do serve a purpose where you learn about the subject, but you also also do get wined and dined and they make it a fair bit of fun (I have been the plus 1 on about a dozen trips over the years so I say it from experience). With the addition of blogs, podcasts and group web sites companies have been quick to add non-traditional journalists. Take Prius Chat for example, the total membership is small compared to other traditional media outlets - TV, magazines, newspapers, etc - but the following is focused and devoted - I would imagine that is why Russell and Danny got invited to the Prius V press event. Russell and Danny were very clear about the fact that they went and I doubt that their opinions were influenced by the fact, but Toyota sure did get a whole lot of coverage from it. Just to be clear, Russell and Danny went about it the right way - full disclosure.

It is this sort of advertising message that is more insidious as it is hard to tell where an opinion has been influenced. Given the state of the advertising biz I think that we are going to be seeing quite a bit more of this in the future.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For every post I make in the Environmental forum here, I get five bucks from the powerful Climate Change lobby.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i knew it!:)

1 person likes this.
  5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    For every post I make, I lose X minutes of potentially valuable thinking time. It may be simple procrastination.

It may be sophisticated mind control by the climate denial machine and their local operatives. I favor this explanation because it does not make me look so slothful.

But seriously, due in part to the slings and arrows at PriusChat, I have tried to pay more attention to a wide range of climate-related publications. Doesn't seem to help me 'do soil carbon', but it has broadened my perspective. So thanks to all the operatives...

6. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    And all post readers gain at least X+ minutes of education.

1 person likes this.
  7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not surprised something like this exists. And yeah, Steve, it was mommy bloggers, ten bucks, and a Toyota minivan. I think.

It's possible that some of the spam we get here is some of this. I don't care. It all gets deleted and they all get banned.

1 person likes this.
  8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's gotten to the point where on a board I'm an admin on, I ban any new member from any ex-Soviet Bloc country before they even get a chance to spam.

9. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I heard on the radio recently that the "mommy bloggers" were being heavily courted by McDonalds, and had come out and said how "wonderful!" the McD oatmeal is... but, if you actually check the ingredients and nutritional information, it is basically a bowl of candy (sugar, sugar, a few oats and raisins, more sugar, and a bunch of stuff that can't be pronounced).

It is my opinion that anyone that takes samples, gifts, lunch, or money from anyone has lost their cred, and they should have to have a banner on their site that lists who is paying them.