1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GII EV Mode, temp < 15F, WTH was going on today?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2k1Toaster, Dec 17, 2010.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok well I made the ~3 mile trip to Chipotle and back for lunch today and had some strange happenings with the EV button. Unfortunately I did not have my CAN sniffer plugged in.

So start the car all normal, and let it warm up the engine as I can't make it there on electric only today (takes about 6 bars to get there on EV only, only had 4). When I get to the stop light right before the plaza, usually the engine is warmed up, so I press the EV button and kill the engine as I glide to a stop. Today I pressed the button, I felt the engine die, then within a second or two, it came back on. I did not get the double beep of denial, it just came back to life by itself. At the light and stopped and within a second or two it shut of normally like a "normal" GII Prius. Pull into the plaza, leave the car on while I grab my food to prevent another warmup cycle and keep my sirius tuner recording so I can skip forwards/back :). While cruising through the parking lot to get out, I usually keep it in EV just to be cool lol, so I had stopped at the stop sign to turn out, and before I press the gas the engine came on again for a split second then killed itself almost instantly. My SOC was around 5 or 6 bars at this point. Outside air temp was reading around 15F.

I remember this briefly happening earlier this year when it was negative farenheit temperatures, but I shrugged it off since I was still a n00b. Now knowing a bit more about the warmup cycles and stages and having spent numerous days inside logging and cataloging network traffic I am confused as to what was going on.

If the engine was too cold, or the SOC was too low, then I should have received the double beep of denial when the EV button was pressed or when the planets aligned in such a way to force it out of EV. I can confirm the button was working properly as it definately killed the engine when pressed, it just didnt remain killed. I never drive with climate control on (air set to max cool, ac off, fans off, defroster off, completely dead) and was the same today as when the engine was off, it was entirely silent.

Ideas as to what she was thinking today?!:confused:

2. magic-man

magic-man New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My guess is simply that it was 15F and the system kicked on the engine for a sec to keep you warm. The electric pump has a lot less volume capacity than the belt driven one. As soon as hot antifreeze moved to the sensor, off it goes.
    I would be willing to bet that if you had turned off the heat, the engine would have stayed in EV mode.

3. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The heater was not on. I do not drive with climate controls on as explained above. Just wear a jacket and it is ok.

Offtopic: Are you in Trinidad, the island?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you have a plug in conversion?:confused:

5. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not currently but I am building my own. I use the EV button currently to shutdown the engine when gliding to a stop or to cruise about parking lots mostly. There are times when I can get to the shopping plaza on EV alone and end up with the same bars as I started with since it is downhill mostly. But the beginning stretch is uphill and then level, so it takes some bars, drops to 3 then regens back to 6 or 7 by the time I am there.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Doesn't the car need to warm the batteries up if they are very very cold - such as in the temperatures you refer to?

We all know the capacity or power of the battery is reduced in cold weather but in really cold weather doesn't the car try to warm them up to an acceptable temperature? I believe it does this by using warmer air from the cabin. If you have your heater switched off at 14f, then there is never going to be any warm air and hence the battery remains cold and the car uses the engine more.

I'm guessing but it sounds reasonable to me.

7. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Could be. I wish I had my breaboard hooked up and was looking at the max hv current draw sensor, that would show if it was indeed being current limited by the cold. I wouldn't count 15F as really cold, but I know NiMH does.

However, I would have assumed the Prius would have beeped to deny EV access or beeped to get out of EV mode once the ECU determined it needed more current than the battery was allowed to give for the current temp.

We have another day or two of this sort of weather so I will try to collect more data.

8. magic-man

magic-man New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    15F not cold? In Trinidad (California, MON...) we think anything below 40F is freezing! FWIW I wish Toyota had put a current display in the monitor with the MPG display!

9. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You're sort of correct. The car reduces battery use in extreme cold. The cutoff seems to be a battery temperature of about 35F, although that isn't absolute (other unknown factors apparently are at work). But cabin heat won't help much. The battery is a large thermal mass and it warms very slowly from ambient heat alone. It warms much more quickly by ohmic heating, which the car seems to perform deliberately by charging it to higher than normal levels in these conditions; reports of a nearly "full" battery (i.e., 7 or 8 green bars) aren't at all uncommon. See these threads for more:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...hy-cant-i-get-into-electric-vehicle-mode.html
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...497-ah-so-what-frozen-battery-feels-like.html

Meawhile, to 2k1: For EV button users, the predominant symptom of a sub-35F battery is "EV deny," not the symptoms you are describing. Had you reached S4, by chance? Perhaps ICE temperature was hovering right around 157F (the S4 cutoff). It may have briefly dropped below 157 and, because of the car's tendency not to use the battery, the ICE lit long enough to nudge it back up above 157, where it shut off again. Just one theory. (It's odd that while button-mediated EV mode is unavailable in extreme cold, the car freely goes into "pedal-feathering" EV mode in S4.)

EDIT: I just re-read your original post. It's highly unlikely you were at S4 temps with a 3 mile drive. So I'm not quite sure what's going on.

1 person likes this.