1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Girls who claim they are "Wiccan"

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

...are stupid.

For whatever reason, I seem to come across this more often these days, everytime I hear it, I'm like, :rolleyes:

2. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    LOL I agree,

3. Hawk

Hawk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 7 2006, 07:58 AM) [snapback]236311[/snapback]</div>
    It is just another religion. I know many people man and woman that are Wiccan. To each there own.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 7 2006, 10:58 AM) [snapback]236311[/snapback]</div>
    What is a Wiccan?

5. jchu

jchu New Member

qbee42 - Wiccan = white witch (kinda)

All - Yes another religion. I know of at least two who claim this faith. Both are registered nurses. One a house supervisor. The other is in the Air Force. Did anyone realize that the Air Force actually has Wiccan chaplains??? I suspect not many but I heard that several years ago there was one on one of the Texas AFB's.

My weirdest experience was attending 2 weddings one week apart. As a wedding present, I did the photography for the second wedding... The first wedding was a traditional Greek Orthodox; the second was a Wiccan wedding. Boy did the juxtaposition mess with my head!!!

6. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Apr 7 2006, 07:17 PM) [snapback]236548[/snapback]</div>
    chicks who think they're tough by worshiping a female god, or the earth, and going out of their way to claim they do not practice witchcraft, even though the ritualistic stuff closely resembles it... it's one of those queer gothicky things...

7. hjon71

hjon71 Junior Member

I may be WAY off base here but: I think to be Wiccan is more a "belief" than a religion. Religion requires a GOD, and my understanding of witches is most are agnostic.

8. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

I guess it IS more sensible---and manly?---to believe in people being able to walk on water and cure afflictions by touching people. Virgins giving birth, too.

What's the difference between a superstition and an "accredited miracle"?

9. Hawk

Hawk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 7 2006, 05:38 PM) [snapback]236575[/snapback]</div>
    The word religion is not reserved for one who woships a single god.

1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
    2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
    3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
    4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 7 2006, 05:38 PM) [snapback]236575[/snapback]</div>
    Many of the rituals in the Catholic religion stem from witchcraft. Also many of the holidays started out as wiccan events that the Catholic church incorperated in order to convert people so then you may as well say the same thing about Catholics.

Fear what you dont understand

10. Hawk

Hawk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Apr 7 2006, 05:54 PM) [snapback]236582[/snapback]</div>
    Nothing, The word Faith means belife without proof

11. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One religion's not more stupid than another. The wiccans I know are perfectly normal people, but instead of believing in the usual three-in-one god, the nobodaddy aloft, they believe that animals and rocks and rivers and suchlike have "spirits." No more crazy than believing that people have immortal souls that either sit on clouds playing harps for eternity after they die, or are plunged in a lake of fire for all eternity by a god who loves them.

Actually, when you get right down to it, Wicca makes a lot more sense than Christianity.

13. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Apr 7 2006, 04:17 PM) [snapback]236548[/snapback]</div>
    Sometimes also called "Pagans", Wiccans are polytheists or more properly panentheists who usually embrace the belief that the earth is a living entity and hold to the law of threefold return, a kind of "Golden Rule." They gather in "covens" and the females call themselves witches, but they should not be confused with the satanist, cannibilistic and ritualistic murderers called witches in the past, as Wicca does not even recognize the Christian concept of "the devil". While it is a modern religion, they trace their roots to Celtic origins and other northern European beliefs before the infiltration of Christianity. Wicca is attractive to new agers, environmentalists, and others who hold nature in great respect. Oh, and yes, the male wiccans I have known do call themselves "warlocks".

The law of three fold return guides their actions, as it states that whatever you put out there ... good or evil ... comes back to you three times as strong (or three times as much). Bad behaviour is therefore moderated not by the idea that a god will punish you after you die, but rather that you will experience bad things in this life. Kind of a "karma" like concept.

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Get over it. No one "claims" to be Wiccan any more than Jewish, Christian or Buddhist. Give them some respect and they may just respect you. They are no different than anyone else. It is a "faith", it is not science!

15. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hjon71 @ Apr 7 2006, 05:39 PM) [snapback]236576[/snapback]</div>
    Its a recognized religion. Religions don't need to be monotheistic; consider Buddhism, for example. Pagans and Wiccans believe either that nature is embued with many spirits and gods (pantheism) or that all the gods they recognize are really different aspects of the same god and we are living in that god (panentheism). I've heard both beliefs from people in the religion, and they don't really have a rigid, church like structure from what I can tell, so I assume that both beliefs are acceptable to their fellow witches and warlocks.

16. Mystery Squid

Oh please.... :rolleyes:

wicca right up there with Judaism? Christianity? Makes MORE sense than Christianity? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

only on Prius Chat...

damn I love this place! :lol:

17. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    All the wiccans I have met were ac/dc ;)

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I know a neo-pagan who insists that neo-paganism is not the same as wicca. I've never had the opportunity to ask for more information on this

And, yes, if you are not brainwashed into it from infanthood, Christianity makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Its most sincere and honest proponents even assert that if there was any logic in it, or the least shred of evidence, then belief would not be "faith." To be a Christian you have to abandon logic entirely and disregard every bit of evidence your senses bring you. On the other hand, if you make just one illogical and unjustified assumption: that everything around us is embued with a "spiritual" force, then you can have any of the "Earth religions," such as gaia, neo-paganism, wicca, etc. Much less illogical than Christianity.

19. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like many other things I'm sure there are 'genuine' Wiccans and there are those who do it for a multitude of other reasons.

Those who MS refers to, I think, are often like the gothic thing...they chose to be different...just like everyone else they know.

20. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

It is rather trendy right now... then again, I suppose all religions are.