1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Glare along rear defogger lines after tint

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by umichioe, Nov 9, 2012.

1. umichioe

umichioe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I tinted my Prius v's rear hatch window with SunTek CXP film yesterday morning. When driving at night with the tinted window, there are streaks of glare along rear defogger lines caused by the headlights behind me.

For v owner with tinted hatch window, do you have the same issue? Will the glare be gone after the tint dries up?

I know I am posted in the Prius Forum. Just want to get some general idea as I think the defogger should be similar between Prius 3rd Gen and v.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's normal. When the excess water dries out it will be better/gone. You can speed up the drying process by parking in the sun.

3. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yep, that normal

4. umichioe

umichioe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Sean,

Do you mean it is normal for the glare to be there initially? Or it is normal to have the glare even when the tint is settled?

Thanks.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The excess water under the tint is acting like a prism and causing the light to refract along the defroster lines. That is the glare you are referring to.

Let the tint dry out and don't worry about it. As mentioned previously, leave it out in the sun to speed up the drying process.

6. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'll third the "normal". Every car I've ever tinted, with the exception of the Phaeton, exhibited the same thing.

Having said that, depending on where you live it could take a while -- especially at this time of year. (And, by "a while", I mean weeks.)

7. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Every car I have had tinted has always had this issue. It's at it's worst when u first have the tint put on. It will get better but will never be what it was prior to being tinted if u have the defroster lines on the glass..........at least that's been my experience from several cars

Nova
    325e
    Accord
    Yukon Denali
    325i
    525i
    M3
    Escalade
    Gen2 Prius
    CTS
    Gen3 Prius

8. RCDrifter

RCDrifter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You may want to avoid using your rear defroster untill it goes away. Sometimes the heat can cause bubbles to form or the adhesive to loose effectiveness. Also, dont leave the defrosters on for too long, it can cause premature peeling.