1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Glass breakage sensor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by windstrings, Jan 21, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The search engine must be down.. I keep getting an error?

Do I want this glass breakage sensor feature?

I remember reading some problems with false alarms.. but that may be extremely isolated?

For those who have it, can you tell me if you have had any problems?

If you just tap on the glass, does that set it off?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends whether you think it's necessary.

IF you tap the glass hard enough, it'll go off. Also if the sensitivity is too high, planes taking off or landing or even a ricer with a fart can can set it off.

Also, it depends whether the crimes in your area is stealing cars or stealing the stuff inside your car.

3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Can you adjust the sensitivity on it without going to a dealer?

I did have my car broken into last year in the spaggetti warehouse parking lot.. they were in and out in seconds... they got the target bag in the back floorboard but missed many other things because they were moving so fast.....

I'm not sure if in that instance it would have helped.. but yes there is alot of that sort of parking lot crime in our area.....

I hope I never catch one...... I would hate to not be able to drive my prius because I'm in jail for life.....

4. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I would skip the alarm.

I do not think it will make one iota of difference in preventing theft. If it is a smash and grab... then they will have already set off the alarm before and will probably still grab the item they are after.

Personally... I think that nuisance alarms are worse than the off-chance that something is stolen.

/Jim

5. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am thinking of adding the glass sensor. I had it added to my Tacoma because the truck is parked outside and it rains a lot. I figured if the truck is broken into via the window, at least I should hear the alarm and do something to stop the truck from being flooded. It also might stop the next guy from taking whatever the first guy didn't get.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well the regular alarm doesn't do anything for smash and grab since they wouldn't open the door so the alarm won't go off. So unless someone hears the window shatter, no one will know.

I guess when you have it installed, check the sensitivity before you leave the dealer.

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I wonder how easy it is for them to adjust?.... I would hate to have to make a whole seperate appointment.....
    but thats a good Idea....