1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Glass like noise when cornering...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by parrot_lady, Jun 3, 2007.

1. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

Car history: Routine maintence, oil changes inclusive from the day of purchase in 2005, and car accident repair in April 2006 done at/in conjunction with Toyota dealership, parked outside, not garaged but usually well cared for.

I have recently had brand new Michellen tires from Sams Club installed on Prometheus, as he was over due-they still had tread but I was starting to feel uncomfortable with the amount of it left- for new tires.

Optional features installed: Mudflaps and BT Tech plate (seat covers too, but thats irrelevant here) and engine block heater.

The Chasis stiffening place was replaced(I bought a new one) after the accident- Brian has been truely wonderful about having good customer service.

Trouble:

Theres a road where I live where if I take at a left curve at about 25-30 mph (the posted limit) I'm hearing a noise that comes from outside the car that almost sounds like glass tinkling together, and I'll hear it with regularity, its just not a freak noise. I do not "hit" or "tap" my brakes going around this turn. I haven't noticed it at higher speeds, but thats not to say it doesn't happen, my windows are usually up and the radio is on so I could be missing it. My first thought was that my chasis stiffening plate was "loose" so I got out Matt's Torque Wrench and messed with the plate, nothing wrong there, mudflaps seem secure outside, block heater hasn't moved since the day Fire Engineer (Wayne) installed it.... I've cleaned out the car of anything in the back that could be possibly making these noises and the door holders too.... I learned that things in there can make odd noises in the first week I had my car (LONG story) I'm still hearing it. I don't want to take my car to the dealer because I'm worried that they will not hear it, ignore the problem completely, or just blow me off (and the only dealer I've been too down here- Columbus Ohio- tried to bill me $80 for an oil change and cabin air filter.... Thats another story though). or not find what I'm talking about. The car is covered under their extended warranty, but I'm probably going to have to argue with them to get them to cover it, as my dad has had to argue with about things already on his back in Chicago- I've given him the tip listed in here where they have to show you where *specifically* its not covered in the warranty... is there any insight in this??? I'm worried since its been in an accident that it could be something that was repaired and is failing, or its just collateral damage.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow, let's see.
    I am familiar with your thoroughness, so I'm going to get straight to it.

You specifically mention the noise on a left turn at 25 - 30 MPH. Do you take the same turn on the way back at the same speed? This time turning right?

This might be obvious, but turn the radio off for a while.

I'm sure you've considered broken glass remnants from the accident still in the door(s). You did not, however, mention the side of the car the noise is coming from in comparison to any damage (broken windows) from the accident.

3. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm leaning towards Tony's answer, possibly some glass fragments. Could also be something to do with the front brake/backing plate on that side of the car. Maybe a stone or something happened at Sam's Club.

BTW-What tires did you get?

Wayne

4. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jun 3 2007, 10:30 AM) [snapback]454347[/snapback]</div>
    Actually I never considered this since it just started recently. Sadly its from the same side as the car accident, so this is a definate possibility, but I'm past the one year mark on the car accident (April 08 06 is when it happened) I'm wondering if its from this, even though the window wasn't broken on top, if it should still be covered, or if I would have to claim it under the "repaired parts warranty"... which means it would have to be done in chicago :unsure: :unsure:

I've never heard it going right, and I've stopped after to inspect the road after the second time, thinking it might have been something externally stuck (roadside or car side) but nothing was there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Jun 3 2007, 12:10 PM) [snapback]454395[/snapback]</div>

I got the ...I'll have to check the tires but they are $90-something dollars each 96,000 mile warranty on them. I love them, they've greatly improved my handling of the car. I was the one that pulled the car into the sam's bay (i had on my steel toed boots) and didn't leave prometheus alone with them. the tires have a Lifetime rotation and balance-- FREE :) I've had one person comment that I had overpaid for them, but then when they figured it out, its cheaper in the long run for me.

5. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had a simular experience in a previous car. Someone had spilled a bag of pistachio nuts down the defrost vents on the dash. They would slosh back and forth in the plastic duct when cornering. Drove me crazy till I finally got them vacuumed out.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wait, so was there glass broken in the accident? if not, don't bother worrying about that. broken glass in a car door doesn't really make a glass tinkling sound... more of a pebbles in a plastic container sound. you can check this by opening the door in question and shaking it.

it only does this while turning left? if it's something loose in the car, it should also be shifting on right turns (has to shift back before it can shift on the next left turn)

pennies or marbles can get stuck in places and cause noises too.