1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Glass Windshield scratch removal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by billyb, May 10, 2005.

1. billyb

billyb New Member

:( :( Somehow my wiper produced a scratch on the windshield glass of my otherwise beautiful 04 Prius. It's not very deep and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of how to fix it. Are there any glass scratch removal products that can be recommended??
    Thanks,billyb

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  3. billyb

billyb New Member

Hi Bill
    Thanks for your reply and advice, The product looks interesting but i'm exploring the possibility of an auto glass guy buffing it out. If he gives me a high price I may try the product you suggested and if I do I'll let you know how it works. Thanks again
    billyb

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You're welcome Billy. If I try it, I'll let you know too. I don't have a windshield problem, but I have a patio door with some very stubborn water marks.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That product sounds interesting. Windshield scratches up here are inevitable. You can thank long winters, lots of salt on the roads, lots of slush, and dirty squeegees at gas stations.

It's actually very easy to scratch a windshield. All you need is a bit of dust - especially sand - on the wiper.

6. jasonmeehan

jasonmeehan New Member

I also have a minor scratch on my 06 Prius windshield, I have tried the Zaino glass cleaner.. it did help but I can still see the scratch when I'm looking for it... did a very good job of polishing it up and better concealing it. I'm now thinking about getting a pro to look at it and buff it out for me... anyone know how much that would cost? There are 2 or 3 fine scratches only about 3 inches long... it's my Prius and it's driving me crazy seeing those tiny mars on the windshield.

:(

7. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you want to get scratches out of glass, you need to polish it with cerium oxide. This is a job best left to pros, as you can overheat the glass and crack it if the polish dries out, and some skill is needed to prevent introduction of optical distortion.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Please also replace at least the one offending wiper blade.

9. VanRadford

VanRadford New Member

I am on the same 'small scratch' removal mission. Thanks for your tips. I will post on progresses

10. carlisle

carlisle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billyb @ May 10 2005, 07:38 PM) [snapback]88498[/snapback]</div>
    Resorting to glass polishes or glass cleaner won't do your car any good.

There's an available repair kit for it I think that comes with a drill-operated polishing wheel that could be useful for light scratches.

11. jdizon

jdizon New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Use a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol on it to dissolve the adhesive. You should be able to just use your fingernail to scrape it off after that. Or you can ask us at autoglass.