1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Glide button

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by 8AA, Nov 20, 2005.

1. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There are some posts discussing the different ways to engage EV mode. How about a switch to engage glide mode? I'm not sure if the accelerator pedal is connected to a digital device or a simpler device like a potentiometer, but would it be possible for the car to think that the accelerator was being pressed slightly (to engage glide)? A side effect might be an increase in the level of simulated automatic transmission creap, which might in turn increase the electrical current when the car is stationary.

It's not a switch that I would desire to install, but some people have complained about the simulated engine drag when coasting.

Attention Toyota Design Team: I won't need a new Prius for a few more years, but I hope that when I do, it might have driver selective programing so that I can switch between Normal Economy and Enhanced Economy (I resisted using the terms "Economy and Performance" because I would never expect the Prius to be a Sports Sedan). I wouldn't mind a reduction in acceleration for normal driving if it would enhance the fuel efficiency. However, getting onto the highway or passing another car on a two-lane road, it would be nice to have a button for a little added power. It would be similar to my old Honda where I had to disengage the A/C temporarily so that I could accelerate.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Similar discussion long ago (? lost in one of the crashes?) Several thought it would be a good idea, some thought Neutral would do the same thing. I think it would be a cool mod for those of us "in the know" about gliding, but probably a point of confusion and distraction for the public at large.

3. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You're probably right about the general public, it was just an idea.

I remember a post about a previous SAAB owner, and how he missed the free-wheeling of his former car. When I let my parents drive my Prius, my Mom commented that it felt like something was dragging all the time. It seems that their Buick doesn't have the engine drag of most cars. When I explained why the drag was there, she was OK with it, and was only concerned that the parking brake was on, or that one of the tires was low.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep free wheeling took a bit to get used to but after you get used to it you could make it work for you.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Neutral can indeed be used as a "glide" switch, but it turns out
    that no-arrows "glide mode" in Drive does send a little trickle
    of battery current to the motor and gets the car a wee bit farther
    than neutral would. Which may or may not have any advantage.
    Neutral makes it easier to rest one's foot for a while, and also
    does not bring the ICE back on if you exceed 42 mph temporarily.
    _H*