1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Glide/Warp Stealth Switch Mod?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by prim2, Nov 15, 2007.

1. prim2

prim2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry if this has been addressed before (a search did not help): Has anyone looked into the feasibility of developing a Glide/Warp Stealth toggle?

I've noticed that holding a glide or warp stealth requires a very fine touch and that the mode is easily lost through lack of concentration, a muscle twitch or a bump in the road (possibly even a sideways glance from my wife). Would it be possible to send a command from a button or lever to the computer to enter and remain in those modes until released? I've had several opportunities for extended warp stealth that have been shortened by a rough road compromising my ability to hold the accelerator in that fine range.

Geoff

2. echase

echase New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prim2 @ Nov 15 2007, 02:23 PM) [snapback]540114[/snapback]</div>

I read before that they thought it could not be done, but I wonder... while the amount of pressure to maintain stealth mode changes with battery SOC (amongst other things) I think the accelerator on this drive-by wire system is really just a potentiometer (but I could be wrong) if that is the case I would think you might be able to wire another POT in parallel, to provide a "baseline" amount of acceleration and if you were really clever you could have a killswitch that would take it out of the circuit whenever the brake is tapped.

The end result of this fantasy device would be a button and a dial. Once you press the button the position of the dial indicates the amount of accelerator depression to the car, after you press the brake the system de-activates until you press the button again.

Alternatively, you might be able to tweak the cruise control circuitry in some way so that it would attempt to maintain the amount of accelerator depression you were using, instead of altering the throttle to maintain the velocity. This would have FE benefits beyond stealth mode...

Good Luck!

3. mparrish

mparrish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Heck, I'd be happy with just a little "beep" that let me know when the glide slipped to warp stealth. That way I wouldn't look down, see yellow arrows, and think "crap, how long has this been on and how much SOC did I use up?" :)

4. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you want to glide, just put the car in neutral. Then go back to drive for the acceleration part of the cycle.

5. stumpy_c

stumpy_c New Member

Yeah, the first thing that came to mind when reading the original post was that some sort of momentary switch (or toggle) which puts the car into neutral when glide is desired would be nice.

Is the shifter actually connected to the transmission or is it "shift by wire?"

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Neutral doesn't help in WS because the engine idles and burns fuel.
    Installing a tach and/or injection monitor
    may help with staying in the right spot.
    _H*

7. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or, read the accelerator pedal value on the CAN message and keep the value equals to 3.

Ken@Japan

8. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seeing as the gear ratio is fixed so there is nothing to "shift" mechanically, it is pretty clearly "shift by wire". For further proof, try switching to reverse while driving forward (or shifting to drive while backing up).

Shifting just tells the ECU which way you want to go (or that you want the wheels to spin freely) The ECU uses this information along with various other inputs to then decide how best to accomplish this.

At no time are the electric motors or the internal combustion engine physically disengaged from the wheels, nor is there ever any change in the number of gear teeth between the various components of the drive system.