1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Glide with foot off pedals

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by thepixiesarah, Sep 3, 2007.

1. thepixiesarah

thepixiesarah New Member

I have noticed lately that my prius shows the all black (no arrows) energy screen with my foot not on the accelerator or the brake pedal. This always happens right around 7mph. Has anyone else experienced this? I am wondering if it has anything to do with the switch to friction braking. The first time I noticed was about a week ago but now I see it pretty consistently when coasting at 7mph.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, there's definitely a point - around 7MPH - at which regen is inactive and no battery power is used. It's been my observations that below ~7MPH the battery will kick in to maintain momentum. At speeds above ~7MPH the regen will activate.

I have a four-way stop on my regular commute that I often have to creep about a quarter-mile to at speeds below 10 MPH.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's actually a tiny battery drain at those speed (a few amps), but it's below the ~7 amp threshold needed for the display to show it.