1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Global Biodiversity - If you're on this forum, you gotta read this!!!

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Rybold, May 11, 2010.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So what shall we do?

Are you going to tell the millions of Indians or Chinese that they shouldn't have a/c because some bugs in a forest somewhere will die? Or that that rich business owner in China shouldn't drive that Range Rover he's saved up for and dreamt about for a decade?

Who are we to say, tell or dictate to anyone else?

I don't know the answer to this. Perhaps we should lead by example and hope that others follow?

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Some ways forward, though quite unspecific, are presented in this report. Several more specific suggestions have been published elsewhere. Those interested could no doubt find them, or I could make a suggestion or 2?

However, the reductio ad absurdum does not impress. Sorry mate.

5. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We won't dictate what they can do, but we can raise the price of oil to $100/barrel. Impose "international taxes" onto crude oil barrels, and put the money into a fund to buy the rainforest regions and other "international parks" and create an International Park System, managed and protected by the U.N.
    Just as the U.S. has Park Rangers, the U.N. will train and employ Park Rangers. It'll work. It's just a matter of whether politicians are smart enough to realize that we are at the tipping point and their grandchildren (yes, the actual grandchildren of current politicians) will suffer as a result of the gross negligence of current politicians.

Leading by example is always a good first start. Gasoline and Oil taxes should be increased. Cap and trade should be implemented. Solar panels should be subsidized. If we can spend billions on national security to fight wars against Iraq and Afghanistan, we should also spend billions on national security to subsidize an unlimited quantity of solar panels for American houses and businesses.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree but I'm not convinced the politicians are. I think they see it (at least here in the UK) as some great excuse to tax us more, but unless that tax money is used to subsidize solar panels and the like, then the tax paying public will remain cynical.

If the governments were serious about it, they would implement plans to 'green' up their buildings where appropriate to set an example. It has been suggested here locally but it was rejected for being too expensive! If it's too expensive for the government, then it's too expensive for us too.

It's too complicated an issue for someone like me to grasp, but I think education can play a big part. There has been a big insulation grant available from most power companies over here for homeowners to upgrade their insulation to new standards. My power company wrote to me saying they'd fully insulate my house for £300 (loft/roof space and walls). I agreed, they came, did a great job and the heating savings in the first year alone covered the cost! My sister is with the same power company yet didn't want to get the work done as she couldn't afford it (still in recession and money is tight). But she can't afford not to! She will spend the money on gas heating anyway. The same applies to cars and the Prius. Some fellow taxi drivers say they'd love a Prius but can't afford to buy new, but the fuel savings I make of £3000+ a year (35-40k miles pa)would pretty much cover the car payments.

So how do we convince people like my sister and my taxi driver colleagues that being 'greener' doesn't have to cost the earth as often the savings alone will pay for the greener product option.

Is this a role for the UN or local Governments or a combined effort?

7. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    That's odd, because there are so many efficiency projects that pay for themselves in a short time period.

Over here, the federal government has a plan that was put in place by executive order. Federal Leadership in Environmental, Energy and Economic Performance - EXECUTIVE ORDER 13514 | The White House

Additionally there are things going on at the local level. The State of New Jersey required every government agency to conduct energy audits, with retrofit incentives provided through the utility board. Local Government Energy Audit | NJ OCE Web Site

8. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    According to a guest pundit on CNN last night, after this BP oil spill, a lot of Congressmen are now at odds. They receive a lot of money and lobbying from the oil companies, yet with this recent BP spill and an election year coming up, they know the voters will be closely scrutinizing how they favor/punish the oil companies as we move forward. The good old days of tax breaks and loose regulation of the oil companies might not be over long-term, but for the next few years, expect regulation to increase and Congress to pass such increases in regulation and enforcement. Obama also publicly stated yesterday that he would like to see added taxation on the oil companies to pay for the BP cleanup, if BP does not reimburse every penny the govt is spending on this.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    what should we do?

how about transferring the real cost of using fossil fuels to the entities using them.

immediately require upgrades of every single stack and pipe that currently spews exhaust to stringent emission levels. forget what it will cost the driver of the car or the owner of the power plant. they either pay or find another option.

taxes should be raised on gas to maintain at least a $5 per gallon rate (we are getting off CHEAP!! at that price) use the additional revenue to fund a REAL effort at using renewable green energy sources. if it cost 25 cents a kilowatt, before you start whining about the price, lets figure out what our share of the 121 Trillion dollar loss to the environment?

we put little value on destroying someone's home until it becomes our home, and i mean OUR home. all over the US, we have forced people out of their homes because of the environmental damage we caused by our direct actions in the pursuit of "cheap" energy.

there are several definitions of cheap including one that implies "not well made", shabby, or of low morals.
    that is only type of cheap i can apply to the entire fossil fuel energy system