1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Global fossil fuel studies

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Apr 21, 2010.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Global fossil fuel subsidies are about USD$300 billions per year, and not entirely "a good thing" according to a new study that can be downloaded here:

GSI publishes The Politics of Fossil-Fuel Subsidies | Global Subsidies Initiative

If anyone cares to take a stab at estimating the market value of annual fossil fuel sales, that would be interesting in comparison. I was thinking it was on the order if 1 or 2 trillions USD$ per year.

I can see how this topic could lead to all sorts of discussion, so as it says on the fireworks labels I'll light fuse and get away :)

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, i for one am tired of paying for it. WA state has major budget crunches and (i am so embarrassed to say this!!) has stepped backwards.

for so long, i touted WA States horn as a very proud resident of a state that was one of the leaders in the Green Movement. They are near the top in hybrid ownership due to state mandates, they were one of the first to allow NEV's to go 35 mph which was instrumental increasing their popularity (i for one, would have never gotten one under the 25 mph law) they were even recognized for their efforts and included in the EV Project.

however, in desperate times, they have lost sight of their long term commitments to preserving the very essence that make this area what it is.

they have cancelled the tax waiver for hybrid and EV purchases because they no longer feel they can afford to allow residents to save some money by going green.

but at the same time they ignore the oil subsidy (well, sort of...we do have the highest gas tax in the nation...at it was last year) by not taxing gas to bring it in line with its real value.

i think WA State like other states should immediately put a $1 per gallon levy on gas until they can meet their budget needs then re-evaluate

3. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Anything less than a $5/gallon tax is wasting your effort.