1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Global warming and American firms.

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by prius04, Jan 2, 2005.

1. prius04

prius04 New Member

This was a commentary in my Sunday paper. It apparently first ran in the Boston Globe.

I thought it would be appreciated here due to it's aside at the end about how some international companies are taking the global warming threat seriously while several, but not all, American Companies are pretending that it does not exist. The company they mentioned was Toyota. I hoped that the Prius would get a mention but alas, the article was not about cars per se.

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/1230-04.htm

Here is a final quote from the article:
    "Is the United States going to lead the technological innovation and resulting job growth as it did with the Internet? Or is it going to lag behind as Toyota and other foreign competitors develop and dominate clean technology markets? The efforts of a small number of companies suggest the enormous potential available. The challenge is now before CEOs to lead their companies in realizing the opportunities posed by a carbon-constrained global economy."

(And to those who might respond to this post by suggesting that the evidence on mankinds affect on global warming is still out, I would point out that only in the USA is the evidence still out, and that has to do with who owns our big media. In the "reality based" rest of the world, mankind-accelerated-global-warming is pretty much universally accepted as fact.)

2. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Double Your Efficiency

The Rocky Mountain Institute's www.rmi.org approach is the soft path: Double your efficiency and you double your profit. It does not matter about belief systems regarding fossil fuels.

Amory Lovin's book Factor Four details the soft path such as doubling efficiency. This is easily applied throughout your life. Our monthly electric-natural gas bill is less than 10% of most homes (@ US$0.13 kWh for electricity). Stop believing the marketing hyperbole.