1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Global warming predictions

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by etyler88, Feb 15, 2007.

?
  1. adapt and it will be painful

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. adapt and it will not be so bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. science saves the day - more suv's please

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. we are doomed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I saw a couple interesting articles and attached below. Even if fossil fuel use stopped tomorrow global warming will get a bit worse. Fossil fuel use will not stop tomorrow so what will happen? In light of Richard Branson's offer I remebered a Popular Mechanics article about solutions to CO2 from about 2-3 years ago. It mentioned putting iron in the ocean.

Anybody close to getting Richard's money?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/...40420013836.htm

"Some of the findings from the study suggest that, when extrapolated over large regions, iron fertilization could cause billions of tons of carbon to be removed from the atmosphere each year. Removal of this much carbon dioxide from the atmosphere could have helped cool the Earth during ice ages. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2784227.stm

"He estimated that 250,000 synthetic trees worldwide would be needed to soak up the 22 billion tonnes of CO2 produced annually."

2. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So we mess up our atmosphere and try to offset this by altering the make up of our water.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in high volumes, doesn't phytoplankten snuff out any life in its presence as it deprives surrounding organisms of oxygen and sunlight?

This kind of talk really irritates me. It's great to try to think of solutions to our problems but not to try to introduce solutions that are likely to be the cause of more damage to other ecosystems.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Feb 15 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]391132[/snapback]</div>

Solutions to a single problem are always bad. It is a testament to our reductionist culture. Thanks a lot Rene Descartes! :angry:

I've said it a million times. Technology is not going ti save us until we change our stories.

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Feb 15 2007, 03:21 PM) [snapback]391132[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, these sorts of ideas are by far the most disturbing and dangerous. You can't manage a system that you don't understand. Even if we thoroughly understand the global climate system it's unlikely that we could manage it in the sense that we manage human affairs.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The thing is, you and I aren't doomed, we're not even likely to suffer too much, we'll die first. Now our children, and their children, that's another story.