1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Global Warming Questions

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Suburban600, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Suburban600

Suburban600 New Member

I don't yet own a Prius but will probably buy one someday soon. I have some questions that keep bouncing around in my cranium related to Global Warming. Here we go.

Question 1: According to the calculators I've found on the web a Prius produces about 3.5-4 tons of carbon per year. My nasty little 86 golf diesel produces about the same amount of carbon plus some other noxious pollutants.

Is it more environmentally friendly to purchase a new Prius or maintain/restore my old golf? Please consider the transportation and manufacturing cost of the new vehicle over the course of the new vehicles life. What is the new car total lifetime carbon footprint?

Question 2: I own about 46+/- acres of forested property in Eastern North Carolina. Information gathered from various sources indicates that my property probably absorbs about 2.6 tons of carbon per acre per year. I estimate my household produces about 17 tons of carbon per year and that I have an excess personal capacity of over 100 tons of carbon sequestration per year.

How can I sell this excess carbon sequestration capacity? What is a fair price per ton per year?

Question 3: In Eastern North Carolina there are many places where one can dig and find fossilized sea shells, reffered to locally as marl.

Did the ocean fall or did the land rise? Why?

Question 4: On TV I saw that the Vikings colonized Greenland and occupied it for about 4 centuries.

Was Greenland warmer than it is today? Will the Danes be able to resettle Greenland soon due to Global Warming? If yes, then when?

Question 5: Recently mammoth bones were uncovered in Virginia. I've read estimates that they roamed the NA continent about 10K years ago.

Why did these and other animals become extinct? What changed? Why?

I look forward to the discussion.

Before I am branded one way or another. Here is my position on the environment.

I want to live in a world where I can breathe clean air, drink clean water and walk through a natural place and see and hear the animals.

I hope to set a positive example for my family, friends and neighbors. I realize that, like my Dad often pointed out, "no matter how important you think you are the ocean won't rise when you stick your finger in it" but, on the other hand, I believe that people working together can always make an impact.

best regards
    Jim
    www.oldtramroadfarm.com
    Buy land, Plant trees, Enjoy life

2. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would like comment the question 1 only...
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Suburban600 @ Jul 14 2006, 07:37 PM) [snapback]286143[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.fueleconomy.org/ says...
    2006 Prius --- 3.4 tons
    1986 Golf Diesel --- 5.3 tons
    Of course, Prius wins.
    Please note that the 1986 Golf Diesel has "NO-CAT", which means it has no Catalytic Converter.
    It pollutes a lot of NOx, HC, PM and etc. It can't be rated the "Air Pollution Scores" on http://www.fueleconomy.org/
    It is called LCA or Life Cycle Assessment.
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=11958&st=2

Ken@Japan

3. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    i did some checking on number 2 and came up empty. there's plenty of stuff on agricultural sequestration but not on the private level. you'll have to do some research to see if i'm right but maybe if you allocate the land as a conservation area allowing it to qualify under some type of sequesteration program. i think you can reap tax benefits but only to the extent to which you've allocated specific acreage as conservation. you would probably not be able to develop the conservation acrease as well. i even looked on the epa's website, but nothing. the following link talks about the cost and rate of return based on site quality.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:eFfhuH...lient=firefox-a

you can also benefit the environment by restoring the land to its original condition. take a walk through the area and you're sure to see tons of invasives, unless you've already put an effort in this area. you talk about enjoying wildlife and this would be a huge boon to them.

there is a theory floating around that forests do not actually help (nor exacerbate) the global warming cause. as forest matter decays, it produces vast amount of carbon dioxide. the thinking is that this offsets any benefits recognized.

4. Suburban600

Suburban600 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Jul 14 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]286287[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, the information provided concerning sequestration corresponds to what I have found. You are correct and if you go to www.chicagoclimatex.com you will find that states and corporations are trading in carbon offset futures. To sell carbon offsets on the Chicago Climate Exchange a small landowner must sell through an aggregator. I have yet to identify an aggregator for carbon offsets.

My desire is to develop a direct sales carbon offset market for the small landowner. For example, a Prius produces about 3.4 tons of carbon per year. I would like to see the Prius owner work with a local forest owner and lease the carbon rights to about an acre and a half for a year. In theory this mitigates the carbon pollution of the Prius.

Why would a Prius owner want to do this? Well, such an annual lease helps the landowner pay taxes etc which helps lessen development pressure which helps fight urban sprawl which, in many cases, preserves the clean rural/suburban environment that the Prius owner seeks in the first place. Direct sale also places more money in the landowners hands. I recommend dealing directly with landowners versus contributing to a fund which plants trees in some far away place.

As for the debate on seqestration the theory that the impact is neutral is interesting. However, the information I have found seems to indicate that the impact depends on the forest type. I believe a boreal forest or bogs tend to mitigate the effect of decomposition because of the characteristics of the soils...acid, wet, peat etc. Additionally, the European Union, New Mexico, Montana, Japan, Major Corporations etc are embracing and paying for the sequestering of carbon with trees so there seems to be merit in the concept.

With regard to non-native species of plants I am fortunate. There are three invasive species in close proximity but not resident at Old Tram Road Farm. These are wisteria, kudzu and chinese privet.

As for wildlife, seeing wildlife is not a problem at the farm. Deer are abundant, bobcats are lurking, bald eagles/ospreys are patroling and the frogs chorus so loud that you can't sleep with the windows open on a Spring night.

I appreciate your comments.

Best Regards,
    Jim
    www.oldtramroadfarm.com

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Jul 14 2006, 09:00 AM) [snapback]286165[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. I don't need much pushing I intend to purchase a new car in the future. The noxious nasty little diesel golf will be let go.

I will be renting a Prius next week to take down to my farm in NC. Since I'll be using the car for long distance driving and I am a large fellow, 6'3.5"/235lbs, I want to check for fit an comfort for my weekly 450 mile round trip.

Thanks

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    by all means, take a test drive. i think you will find it a no comprimise personal transportation vehicle using cutting edge technology to pave the way towards the ultimate goal of a plug in hybrid that would only use liquid fuel for the estimated 10% of driving when the electric storage would be insufficient.

always said that if everyone in the US were forced to drive a Prius for a week, the waiting list would be 5 years long instead of 5 weeks.