1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Globalization adds confusion when trying to determine vehicle's true country of origin

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Tideland Prius, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At least 75% of a vehicle -- including parts and components -- must be produced in the United States or Canada to be considered domestic, according to a U.S. labelling system. Which of the following vehicles are considered domestic based on this system: Ford Escape Hybrid, Chrysler 300, Toyota Camry, Honda Ridgeline, Ford Mustang, Chevy Tahoe, Mitsubishi Eclipse? Answers Ford Escape Hybrid, not domestic, 40% of content from North America; Chrysler 300, not domestic, 72%; Toyota Camry, domestic, 80%; Honda Ridgeline, domestic, 75%; Dodge Caliber, not domestic, 70%; Ford Mustang, not domestic, 65%; Chevy Tahoe, not domestic, 67%; Mitsubishi Eclipse, not domestic, 47%.

Source: National Post

2. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

INteresting. How does the prius rank on there?

3. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(240sxer @ Jul 5 2006, 09:36 AM) [snapback]281467[/snapback]</div>

Good queston, but based on my Prius' label plate and VIN, it is 100% non-domestic (note that 'domestic' means Canada and/or USA)

Interestingly, that label discounts vehicles that have 'North American content'; ie: Mexico., so in many respects, those big Dodge trucks are 'imports' as well :)

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Import. It's built in Japan and I'm fairly certain most of the parts are sourced from Japan. (my wager is about 90% Japanese parts)

The new Camry is 95% Japanese, 5% US/Canada. That is, until the production gets moved to Kentucky lol.