1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

glove box light leakage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JohnFranc, Feb 28, 2007.

1. JohnFranc

JohnFranc New Member

I've got a problem with light leaking from the glove box. I took it back to the dealership - they put foam tape all around the edges of the glove box (where it wasn't leaking), but it's still leaking around the latch.

I understand that the glove box light is an LED that's on any time the headlights are on - I can take the LED out, but I'd rather not do that. I've tried rearranging the stuff in the glove box and it hasn't made a difference.

Has anyone else seen this and found a way to fix it? It's a minor annoyance, but it's still an annoyance.

2. Sleeper

Sleeper New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JohnFranc @ Feb 28 2007, 08:49 PM) [snapback]397988[/snapback]</div>

It' s supposed to be like that. The light leakage makes the glove box handle easy to locate in the dark.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Discussed many times in PriusChat... Try "Search"

The glove box light is a single LED which consumes VERY little current and is very long life... it is only "on" when the headlights or parking lights are "on." A switch would be more liable to failure.

This is "Prius Normal."

ENJOY YOUR PRIUS

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I didn't even know the Prius had a glovebox light until I read it here a few months ago. I guess I never opened it at night. I don't have any visible light when the door is shut, so it must not be normal to "see the light" when its closed. Just my .02.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Maybe instead of removing the LED, you can install a switch.

6. JohnFranc

JohnFranc New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Feb 28 2007, 02:55 PM) [snapback]398023[/snapback]</div>
    I searched earlier and found some of the previous discussions, but couldn't find one that had a good solution. I was hoping that either I missed it or that someone had come up with something new - I guess not.

I'm not concerned about the current draw - I find the light annoying. If this is "Prius Normal" it's bad design engineering.

Thanks anyway...

7. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Gee, it must be me. My eyes are out the windshield when I'm driving at night...

8. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I would return such a badly engineered car.
    :rolleyes: