1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

glove box light stays on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by turbonick, Apr 18, 2007.

1. turbonick

turbonick New Member

While driving home last night I noticed that the light in the glove box was leaking through the cracks. I opened and closed it a few times but couldn't get it to turn off. I thought I saw another post about this a while back, but I didn't see what the fix was. Anyone have the same problem? I know... I know, do a search, but the search thing isn't working right now.

Thanks,

Nick

2. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Nick. First of all welcome to Priuschat and good luck with the new car. Yes, your observation is correct, when the headlights are on the glove box light is on. There is no switch for it and it has been that way since the introduced the Gen II models. When you have something to inquire about try doing a search first as this website has been here for awhile many of your questions and inquiries might have been discussed in another thread.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This isn't a problem; they are designed to stay on whenever the headlights are on. The glove box light is an LED, which effectively has an infinite life, and draws very little power. The Toyota engineers decided a switch added unnecessary cost and complexity.

Tom

4. turbonick

turbonick New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FBear @ Apr 18 2007, 12:14 PM) [snapback]425400[/snapback]</div>
    That's exactly what I knew was coming. That's why I stated that the search on prius chat wasn't working at the time. The time and key strokes telling me to do a search could have explained what was going on. BTW thanks Tom! That's all I was asking. I'm new to Prius ownership, and have been doing tons of searches looking for answers before asking questions. But almost every thread I read on this forum says do a search. I saw that on Bimmerforums, X5world, ferrarichat, and benzworld but nothing like here. Sorry about being the new kid on the block, but wow people could be a little nicer here.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Good point, Nick.

Those of us who have had our modern marvels for a while can forget how it was when we first got them. It does get tiresome to explain that the glove box light is on when the headlamps are on over and over again, which is why so many, including me, suggest that the Search button, found at the top of every page, is your friend. You clearly stated that it wasn't working for you, so maybe people should have been more generous, or read the posts better. I am continually amazed at how many people provide the same answer again and again in a thread; looks like they answer before they read what others have replied.

In another thread, a fairly new member asked those with many posts for an answer. I have over 2K posts, but I learn something almost every time I surf PriusChat. Just because a member has thousands of posts does not mean they know much about the car, they may just be a "chatty Cathy", with short retorts comprising most of their postings. When I look at a member's profile and it says they have thousands of posts AND most of them were in FHOP, I don't necessarily believe they know a lot about the Prius.

The cardinal sin is Pride. Thanks for reminding us that we should be open and humble and read the thread closely before answering.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(turbonick @ Apr 19 2007, 12:25 AM) [snapback]425818[/snapback]</div>
    After a while you do find yourself answering the same questions over and over, but then no one is forcing us to answer these questions. As for searching, PriusChat (PC) is not the easiest site to search. I still have trouble sometimes, and I'm a technical professional. Don't be too put off by the occasional posters telling you to search or RTFM, just keep posting. Welcome to PC!

Tom

7. turbonick

turbonick New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Apr 19 2007, 08:09 AM) [snapback]425944[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks guys! I can also understand how annoying it can be answering the same questions all the time. Since the Prius isn't a conventional car there is a lot to learn so new bees would have a lot of questions. That must compound the repetition problem. That's why I threw in the I tried the search but it wasn't working at the time thing. But I was pretty sure I'd still get,"the do a search reply." Sure enough there it was. I got a little frustrated when I saw it.
    The information here is awesome. It talked me into buying a Prius, and got me an great deal on it too ($3,500 below sticker!). I go to the website 5 or 6 times a day. I'm really glad that it's here, and that there are so many people who contribute information to it!