1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Glove Box Rattle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by noname87, Oct 27, 2008.

1. noname87

noname87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 1 month old 2008 Prius that has a rattle in the upper glove box door. If I press down on the left (driver) side by the hinge of the upper glove box door, it goes away. Pressing near the latch also seems to stop it. If I apply a SLIGHT outward force (in direction of the seats) to the door by the left hinge the door will move at least a 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch if the door is open. The right sight is firmly secured and will not move. Is this normal? If possible, I would like to fix this and not have to go back to the dealer. Any suggestions. The shelf is firmly seated.

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd take it back to the dealer. Mine is tight as a drum.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine is loose like that too but doesn't rattle though. One bad thing it does though is if there's anything in the back tilted storing section at all the door will not close enough to turn out the glove box light.And sometimes even if there's nothing in that section the light will still be on. I can see the orange light in the crack of the door at night. Have to slam it a few times to get it to stop.
    Probably because I've had the door out so many times checking the cabin filter.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometimes the little shelf in the upper box can rattle if it's not installed just right. But the description you give doesn't sound normal to me.

5. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The glove box light doesn't have a switch. It stays on all of the time.

6. noname87

noname87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does anyone know how to take the glove box apart? I assume that there are two screws behind the round covers on the the inside but don't know what else holds this in place.

I might have to take it to the dealer. It's a pain to have to leave the car for a day. My local dealer is not the best. The dealer I brought the car from is a 1 1/2 hours away.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What? No switch? Why would they do that? But If I play with the door the light goes out indicating a switch out of alignment. Have to look at that tomorrow. Thank you.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oops. Re-read the OP post. He's talking about the top box. Sorry...excuse me.

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2 screws and the top box lid comes off with the "back" wall of the box, easy even I could do it.