1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM concedes noisemaker to NFB in Volt

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by efusco, Dec 19, 2009.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Electric Cars Are So Quiet, They Could Be A Safety Hazard

Got a feeling this will force broader changes...damn shame IMO.

But one group that's speaking up makes us realize that we haven't fully considered the massive changes associated with moving from internal combustion engines to electric propulsion. Since electric motors are incredibly quiet, they're almost imperceptible on the road from an ambient noise perspective.

This lack of road noise ends up becoming a safety concern, especially for blind citizens who rely on sound as a primary sense when crossing roads and navigating streets.

If electric cars are too quiet, how will we know they're coming?

GM, soon to launch their Chevy Volt extended-range electric vehicle, is working to help with this issue. Earlier this year they invited members of the National Federation of the Blind into their engineering studios to come up with a solution to the Volt's soft-spoken motor.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-v-pMxmHLE]YouTube - The Sounds of the Chevrolet Volt[/ame]

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Are the GM 'mild' and 'two-mode' hybrids equipped with noise makers?

As near as I can tell, no existing production hybrid has a noise maker, including the GM models. I don't follow electric vehicles and I don't remember hearing noise makers from golf carts. Even during the Toyota plant tour, I don't remember any noise makers except when backing up.

I've been following via Google news search:

• "Prius accident" and "Prius crash" - about one report per week
    • "pedestrian accident" - multiple reports per day, 10 per day average (grim news indeed!)
    In the USA, we have a public health issue, over 4,000 pedestrian fatalities and over 50,000 injuries per year. This is much larger and deadlier problem than noise makers on hybrids will ever resolve or even dent.

Bob Wilson

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    In the USA and world, we have a public-health issue concerning illness and premature deaths from "combustion" vehicle emissions. Reducing harmful emission (by whatever means) improves that situation. This could no doubt be weighed against perceived hazards of reduced vehicle noise output, but AFAIK no such study exists.

In a roadside world dominated by quieter vehicles, tire sounds alone might provide sufficient auditory warning for low-vision pedestrians. Hard to know.

Both of these ideas pertain to a world where decisions are made rationally, to minimize harm and maximize overall benefit. So far the exoplanetary search has not found any...

4. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The experiment in this video has a critical flaw. It has an experimental but no control. They need to drive a brand new ICE Malibu next to the blind people at 5mph and then drive the Volt at 5mph and see if the blind people can pick out the correct car. If the blind people can tell the difference, fine. But I have a strong feeling they will not be able to tell the difference.

The sound that Volt makes in the video will clearly drive buyers away from the Volt. But then again ... maybe that's what GM wants to do. Maybe that was their intent with the awkward dancing people at the autoshow. The message they were trying to portray is "the Volt is for weird people." hmmm. This should help Toyota in the PHV market.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Something about Chief Engineer Andrew Farah reminded me of another article:
    Chevrolet Volt chief engineer leaves GM to join Opel

It is interesting to see what the new Chief Engineer emphasizes. The Volt is the GM version of the Precept ten years after GM killed it and the EV1s. The emphasis on a peripheral subject, 'the blind,' suggests the technical problems are more severe than we've heard.

GM's commitment to fuel efficiency has always seemed "greenwash." Everything from 'mild' hybrids through killing their one and only, small "two-mode," the Saturn VUE, says GM management still subscribes to an anti-hybrid view. Worse, they have a chauvinistic view of those who buy efficient vehicles as Bob Lutz showed during his visit to the Letterman Show:
    No Chevys For Old Men: Lutz Vs. Letterman - Bob Lutz - Jalopnik
    But the real kicker was his appearance on the Stephen Colbert report:
    Colbert and Lutz talk Chevy Volt, global warming | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews
    Lutz with a little teasing by Colbert claimed a hybrid car would get a guy laid:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/18/chevy-volt-exec-bob-lutz_n_127581.html
    Bob Wilson

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

can we unplug the noise wire? if so, thats fine ;-).

But no noise is a bit plus for Hybrids and Electric vehicles... I cant see artificial noise as anything but really awful.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's already been way too much noise about the Volt. Put up or shut up, GM.

8. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Hehehehehe. :rockon:

9. Hornhonker

Hornhonker New Member

Mabey they could pre-record a big Harley with no mufflers as an example ?:p

10. geognerd

geognerd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That horn is a horrible idea. Every time it sounded during the video, it made me jolt. Any sort of horn sound is inappropriate, as I associate a horn sound with an impending crash, an approaching emergency vehicle, other serious hazards, and annoyed drivers. People are going to wonder why the jerk in the hybrid/EV is honking his horn constantly. I don't think noisemakers are necessary at all, but I would favor a bicycle bell sound over this silly horn.