1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM Discounts Volt by $10,000, 3x-4x more than US average

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by spwolf, Sep 23, 2012.

1. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

• DETROIT (AP) — General Motors rolled out the Chevrolet Volt two years ago with lofty sales goals and the promise of a new technology that someday would help end America’s dependence on oil.
    • CONTRIBUTE
      Story Ideas
      Send Corrections
      So it seemed like a good thing in August when sales of the $40,000 car set a monthly record of 2,800. But a closer look shows that things aren’t what they seem for the cutting-edge car.
    • Sales rose mostly because of discounts of almost $10,000, or 25 percent of the Volt’s sticker price, according to figures from TrueCar.com, an auto pricing website. Other pricing services gave similar numbers, and dealers confirmed that steeply discounted Volts are selling better than a few months ago.
    • GM’s discounts on the Volt are more than four times the industry’s per-vehicle average, according to TrueCar estimates. Edmunds.com and J.D. Power and Associates say they’re about three times the average. Discounts include low-interest financing, cash discounts to buyers, sales bonuses to dealers, and subsidized leases.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hey, any port in a storm.:)

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There was a $2500 dollar incentive from GM to dealers to move remaining 2012's if they met the minimum requirement of sales. Add the $7500 tax deduction and you have the $10,000 headline to pull in web clicks/views.

Interesting that the Volt is panned for a high MSRP and then again if the purchase price can be $10k less.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are lovers, and there are haters. that's what makes the world go round.:cool:

austingreen likes this.
  5. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

this is not true at all... $10k is from various incentives including low leasing prices... $7500 has nothing to do with it... so it is actually $17.5k when you calculate federal incentives.

It would do you good to actually read the article.

6. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the Volt is a good car. This discount and the govt rebate makes it interesting. However I don't trust GM to give it long term support after what they did to their first electric car. Should I worry about that?

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes I did. It references a 3rd party website (not GM or GM dealers) for that headline grabbing price figure. I put in my info at truecar. com and it gave me, drum roll,............. a $683 dollar discount.

austingreen likes this.
  8. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i suggest you read the full article... it is sydicated piece from Associated Press. Then I suggest you try to understand how car incentives are calculated... here is some info:
    Hyundai/Kia Have Record Transaction Prices; Industry Incentives Decline for Fourth Consecutive Months According to TrueCar.com | TrueCar Blog

9. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Um if you read it carefully you see they don't really describe how they got the 10,000. It says the 10K number is from truecar.com.. but truecar that only gives $599 off of MSRP, so that's not much of a discount on the price. (There are places that will do more off MSRP.. so at least last month, with some shopping around, one could really get $2500 off MSRP).

If you understand how the leasing they work you might recognize that the "low lease rate" already accounts for the $7500. The leasing company gets the credit and uses it as a cap reduction. So if they dealer takes 2500 off and the lease can account for as much of the $7500. And for buyers, getting a $40,000 for 25% of gives one a $30000 net price price tag, which is, as fotomoto said, $2500 discount + $7500 credit.

Trollbait likes this.
  10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I can't put it more simply than this: there are no, zero, zip, nada, ads for $10k off a Volt. The headline and story are bogus.

I just saw a TV ad just a few minutes ago for $7500 off a Toyota Tundra (or for what it maters insert any big truck from any make here). Where are the headlines for that? <shruggs>

austingreen likes this.
  11. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gotta love it. Costs less than a PiP and yields twice the MPG and available nationwide.

12. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only you can answer how much you want to trust the company that crushed the EVs. I do beleive that people/companies can change -- when its in their interest. The volt is in GM's interest but still I choose to buy mine because the Volt is just such an amazing car, and there is no way they are getting it back from me.. Did not trust a lease.

I've had the car for 13 months. I can say the Volt is even more than I expected, by far the best car I've ever owned. My car has had zero issues, but the stories on GM-volt com show very strong service and support. I did have my battery "enhanced" and it was just fine.. better than any my honda-services in the past decade.

13. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

do you guys really not understand that TrueCar offers industry reports to media on manufacturer incentives? It has nothing to do with their off MSRP on their consumer site. It lists all of the discounts manufacturer gives out in any form, be it to dealers, consumers, leases, etc, etc. It is industry report available to subscribers at high cost that Associated Press, Reuters, and others use to write their articles.

Here is more info how it works for Edmunds, who does the same thing:
    TCI<sup>SM</sup> (True Cost of Incentives<sup>SM</sup>) Archives - Auto Observer Data Center

Keep in mind data on the site above is old on purpose, since they sell the data to subscribers. But virtually all of the newspapers and articles end up refferecing it so you will often read it inside, like in the above article.

14. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

awesome. You guys keep proving my point. lol.

15. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

just to make sure it is clear:

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FWIW, during the 60 Minutes break tonight in the Moneywatch segment, they also cited the $10K discounts. GM offers big discounts to boost Volt sales - CBS News is a brief thing on their web site.

I'm pretty annoyed at the AP piece as they continue to cite the screwy figures from the same source (Munro) that was discussed at GM losing $49,000 on every Volt sold, but will make it up on volume! | PriusChat and elsewhere.

They also have their facts wrong about the carpool lane situation in CA. The old yellow HOV stickers (Eligible Vehicles - Single Occupant Carpool Lane Use Stickers) that were for non-PHEV Priuses expired 7/1/11. I still have them, but they're useless to me now.

But yes, having an eAT-PZEV version of the Volt (the came later) allowing it to qualify for green HOV stickers I'm sure helped significantly boosting Volt sales in CA.

austingreen likes this.
  17. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When will the leases for the first Volts expire?

I figure that is when we'll first see the used ones show up in the market.

Bob Wilson

19. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

it is:
    © 2012 The Associated Press.

it will be everywhere for next 48hrs, every news site, every local news.

Partially focus on GM is probably due to drop of profits expected this year, drop of stock price and US not willing to sell its share at 50% loss that made all the headlines last week. This, together with upcoming elections, make it a big focus right now.

As to the report from before about cost to produce, yeah, sensationalist for sure. However this extra $10k means it will never become profitable vehicle, so article itself was correct in nature but used sensationalist data to prove it. Forbes also run article 2 days ago how GM will go bankrupt again, due to bad choices they made - including Volt but definetly not limited to Volt... they analysed how new Malibu is not well suited for US market for instance.

usbseawolf2000 and usnavystgc like this.
  20. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only use of the word figure in that paragraph are with respect to GM, and hence "the figure" means what GM said.

If GM declined to give a figure, it really does not matter what their figure excluded. Seems unlikely GM would say that given they did not give a figure. That just seems to be an agressive reporter trying to make a story.

The normal definition for incentives include any cap-reduction for the lease, which is how the credit is treated.