1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM engine plant achieves landfill-free status

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by andrewgs, May 17, 2006.

1. andrewgs

andrewgs I Pity Da Foo!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Buffalo, New York - General Motors' Tonawanda Engine Plant, the world's largest engine manufacturing facility, has achieved landfill-free status in its manufacturing operations by reducing waste generation, recycling, and converting waste to energy. More than 95 per cent of the waste materials from the plant's manufacturing operations are recycled, and nearly five per cent are converted to energy at waste-to-energy facilities.

The plant is the second GM plant in the U.S., and one of the very few automotive plants in the world to achieve this status . . . .

In North America, GM facilities have reduced non-recycled waste by over 67 per cent since 1997, by either eliminating the generation of waste or by increased recycling. Globally, the recycling rate for GM facilities is approximately 86 per cent; GM is the only auto manufacturer inducted into the U.S. EPA WasteWise Hall of Fame.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/060510-6.htm

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Kudos to GM. Now if they could just try to improve the other aspects of their business.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, great job GM!
    We need more production facilities like that.

4. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Finaly a GM news that actually looks good for real. More companies should follow suit!

5. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Kudos to GM! It is unfortunate that so few auto plants or business in general try to recycle as much as possible.
    It seems like it only makes sense money wise.

I have a brother-in-law that works in a carbon black plant (heavy on the use of oil and gas), but the plant is instilling some big thing to help reuse the excess from the plant to produce electricity (can't remember if it was excess gas or excess steam). Cost them like 10million dollars, but it will save them at least 1 million a year in energy costs. Thinking more than a few years down the road can lead to some major changes.

I remember reading something a while ago, about some of Toyota plans trying for this, but havent' found any news of this since. Anyone else heard of this?