1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM & Ford's competitors - just how many are there?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by JackDodge, Dec 12, 2005.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I was walking through a store parking lot the other day and saw yet another foreign car. This one was made by Daewoo. I didn't even know that they made cars. Aside from the european sports car makers and the Chinese, (who won't be selling cars here until, I've read, the end of the decade), just how many foreign car makers are out there competing with GM, Ford and Chrysler? Let's not get started on bashing the hapless American car companies, but who do they compete with and what are they competing with? Toyota and Hond have, literally, decades of proof of their reliability, dependability and resale value to their credit. A coworker of mine bought a Kia when tempted with a 100,000 mile or 10 year warranty. And his previous car was a Honda Accord that he'd been driving for at least 10 years. It seems as if there are about a dozen Asian brands out there but it's difficult to keep track of them all. :blink:

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Daewoo is now owned by GM. I think the even changed the name to GM-Daewoo.

They bought majority rights just after they sold their Fuji-Heavy (Subaru) shares to Toyota.

The definition of who owns what in the auto industry is all messed up these days. Is Chrysler really an American company or a German company?

How do you break out Ford/Jaguar/Mazda/Volvo/Land Rover or GM/Saab/Opel/Daewoo/Isuzu/Suzuki/Holden/Vauxhall

There are relatively few independents any more.

3. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  4. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is impossible to be a major manufacturer in the world today without having a major presence in the US. The major manufacturers in the world are GM, Toyota, Ford, DCX, VW, Nissan, Honda, BMW, and Hyundai. Only three countries are represented, the US, Japan, and Germany. Most every brand is at least partially owned by one of these corporations.

5. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Last account I had Hyundai was Korean.

And with Renault owning Nissan, as well as Mack Trucks and some other odds and ends, I'd up that to at least 5 countries.

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I may have made a mistake omiting Renault and stating Nissan. It is a tricky arrangement since Renault is state-owned, it is prohibited from buying a majority stake in Nissan. I am not sure of the total ownership percentage.

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Renault may not technically own 50%, but they control the board and appoint the boss. Effectively they run Nissan. Ghosn is a creature of Renault.

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I forgot about the govt underwritten competitor from Korea.

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You left out two major European makers, FIAT and Peugeot-Citroën.

10. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I know what you mean, Tempus. Here it the Detroit area it's still not a clear cut issue as to whether Chrysler is American or German. It depends on your definition, I suppose. I was just ahead of Dieter Zetsche in the line at Lowes last year. He was there with his teenage son. It happened that they were behind me again at the stop sign on the way out before getting on to Telegraph Road and he was driving a Mercedes SUV. Whenever I see a Mercedes now I wonder if it's a Chrysler exec; when I see a Saab, I think 'GM exec' and a Jaguar could mean a Ford exec. I didn't know that Daewoo was GM. I don't pay as close attention to who owns what since I'm not in the American car industry but the lines are so blurred these days that it's difficult to tell the players without a scorecard.