1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM Fuel Cell SUVs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kablooie, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I work a few blocks from the place they stored the EV1 cars. If you saw "Who Killed the Electric Car", it was the place where people were trying to stop them from shipping out all the cars.

Well, the parking area now is filled with GM fuel cell cars. Dozens of them are lined up.
    I've seen them driving around town several times now, and a few days ago I noticed one in our company parking lot. This morning, there were two parked next to each other. They all identical and painted with big designs and fuel cell signs.

[​IMG]

I took a look at one this morning. Inside it looked perfectly normal but underneath was different. Odd panels and tubes. I didn't see any exhaust pipe either. They have the carpool lane stickers though.

Looks like GM is still pursuing hydrogen. I wonder if it's for real or mainly for publicity like the EV1 car was?

2. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There are so many hurdles to hydrogen power. The fuel cells are very expensive right now. I think the answer to our fuel problems will come from many solutions verses only one solution.

The diesel jetta gets 60mpg and its not a hybrid. If they could make Bio diesel from algae instead of food it would be a better solution. Unlike hydrogen the infrastructure is in place for Bio diesel.

I would really like to have a diesel hybrid that gets 125mpg. I think GM is trying to make it work. They learn from every car they build. I wish they would be a hybrid 1/2 ton PU that gets 35pmg. I almost bought the toyota 4x4 van hybrid but the mpg was not good enough.

3. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

The EV1 was not manufactured for publicity, it was GM's attempt to comply with California law to continue selling cars there.

4. willoc

willoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I actually drove one of these at an alternative fuel conference last month. I don't think they are headed to the graveyard (yet). Keep in mind these are "test mules", they are never going to build a fuel cell Equinox, it will be an entirely new model if and when it comes out. So if they are continually upgrading the drivetrains or fuel cells during testing, they will probably crush many of these vehicles along the way. I'm pretty sure they are going to keep working on this technology for a while.