1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM Goes Green

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Aug 1, 2007.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Aug 1 2007, 05:55 AM) [snapback]488542[/snapback]</div> I notice they didn't mention a price for the "two-mode" full hybrid system.

I'm still trying to figure out what GM thinks the potential market is. A Cadillac Escalade (5800 lbs, EPA 12 mpg city though most reviews seem to give it 9 city), with a two-mode hybrid system is like ... a bacon double cheeseburger with the option to pay extra for low-cal mayo. Hard for me to imagine that a lot of people who are OK with 9 mpg and would be willing to pay a premium to bump that up to 11 mpg. The only thing I can figure is that GM only has the option to add this to the most expensive products they offer, so the Escalade is it.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    25% better. let's see ... 25% of 15mpg ... gee that ought to get their land boats up to about 18.8mpg. Oh joy, that ought to show those middle east oil barrons who's in charge.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just want to see it. No more promotion; no more promises. I just want to see it.

I don't care if they deliver a 10% increase over current standards. A boost in mileage is a step in the right direction.

But stop talking about it and SHOW ME THE <strike>MONEY</strike> MILEAGE!!!!

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    3mpg can be done just by checking tyre pressure often, make sure the alignment's right, regular oil changes (and routine maintenance) and of course driving habits.... I improved by 12mpg (47 to 59) just by P&Ging, maintaining pressure and so forth.

6. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Noticed that the cost for the mild BAS system was stated as $2k. Seems like Toyota is planning on having the full hybrid version only cost about $2K extra by 2009.

Assuming this happens (haven't heard any news beyond the slight reduction of the Prius base price), then after one model year, consumers will be paying the same premium for the GM mild hybrids and Toyota full hybrids. So double (or quadruple) the improvement for the same cost. This is assuming that Toyota does accomplish this, but I think their track record suggests they will.

7. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Towards the end of the article, GM came clean and stated: "......emits warm air and water vapor." Probably does not matter much if they were talking about fuel cells or GM spokesmen.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    GM in the latest Car and Driver has multipage ads talking about how "green" they are.

They bring up E85, fuel cells, the Volt, that the "Tahoe Hybrid is 25% more fuel efficient than our already superior Tahoe in fuel economy" and one last thing that's rather misleading. They say "In 2008, every Chevy car, half-ton truck, and SUV will be equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitor that automatically alerts you when your tire pressure is lw. Properly inflated tires can improve mileage by up to 3%..."

Well... duh... of course every 08 Chevy will have TPMS. It's mandatory on all 2008 model year vehicles weighing <10000 lbs.

They even brag "And joining our Tahoe Hybrid this fall will be the new Malibu Hybrid." :rolleyes: It uses the same BAS system as the Aura Hybrid which we all know did so well at http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...5/pageId=127016.