1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM kills Saturn after Penske ends deal

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Oct 1, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What a shame. I hope the concept is picked up by another arm of GM.

3. ibmindless

ibmindless Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is yet another example of the legacy GM will leave when it dissolves into a stinking, rusting heap of rubble. GM didn't have the fortitude to stand up to the inside petty jealousies that wanted to nuke Saturn. GM really killed Saturn in the early 90's when it severely curtailed its financial support for the brave new world.

It's ploy to use Opels as new Saturn products was a loser from its inception and ran counter to the Saturn Mission. The dysfunctional GM management squandered its billions for decades, producing unreliable, uninspired junk. Unfortunately, the USA loses in the long run.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Three of us had a chance to drive a Saturn VUE, two-mode back in January. A GM product engineer brought one over to the Cobo Center and three of us hopped in drove over to an island and everyone drove laps. Given how few two-mode hybrids GM sells, this was probably my one and only time to ride and drive one.

There was at least 4-5 inches of snow and the road was still packed, no pavement. So we each drove the ~4-5 mile loop, pretty much in hybrid mode the whole time. My impression was a fine Ford Escape and because of the snow, not really a time to exercise the 200+ hp gas engine.

I'd spoken with my GM friend at supper and he told me that 'management' directed the word "HYBRID" be on the doors. This was when some folks were going on late-night TV programs and still claiming that hybrids are a 'statement' or a 'life-style.' He was appalled as was I. All I could share was my experience with General Electric, a large company that worked hard to put themselves out of business. The signature was a company that alienated their most productive workers at all levels and pursued 'day dream' projects. I'd shared that it is almost a mental illness that infects management and when it is recognized, it is time to look for the exit.

So since January, the Saturn VUE two-mode project was killed and now the Saturn division is going to the dust-bin of history. The chief GM engineer of hybrids and electric cars has stepped out of the reach of GM management ... and Lutz is back.

Bob Wilson

ps. I'd sent a PM to my friend and suggested other towns that are friendly to engineers.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is that Lutz or Putz?

Tom

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium