1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM: Live Green or Die

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, May 20, 2008.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    GM: Live Green or Die

There's an interesting estimate near the end:
    "Getting the product mix right isn't the only worry weighing on Wagoner and Lutz. GM also has a long way to go before it can make its new technology cheaply enough. Toyota has cut the cost of its hybrid system to nearly $4,000 a car, says consulting firm 2953 Analytics. Lutz figures GM will be lucky to get the cost down to $10,000 per vehicle by 2010. Translation: GM will have to charge consumers a lot more for hybrids. "GM, like everyone else, is serious about this because they have to be," says a Honda executive. "But how many of their hybrids and how many Volts will they sell? Their technology is very expensive." Then there is the marketing challenge. Even Ford has been selling a hybrid SUV for several years. GM, best known for the Hummer, will have a hard time persuading consumers its cars are green."

When they're talking about GM, are they talking about the Volt's system, a two-mode hybrid or a single mode full-hybrid or something else?

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I've been wishing GM would be Green or DIE, ever since they killed the EV1. They're already doing the negative self fulfilling prophesy ... "It'll cost way too much". Well Mr. Lutz, do what the REST of us do ... tighten up YOUR belt. Cut YOUR salary and benefits, the way you slash and burn your own factories here in the U.S. for starters.

3. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I vote for death ................. but that's just me. :D

... Brad