1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM Main Street in Motion events (should have a chance to drive a Volt)

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Apr 13, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Main Street in Motion | GM Driving Event | Home

Ok, I was thinking of posting this in the Volt area, but there should be way more vehicles to drive than the Volt. See Main Street in Motion | GM Driving Event | Event Locations for the locations and dates. It might be coming to your area soon.

I drove a Volt at an event in Lynnwood, WA last year and posted about it at http://priuschat.com/forums/chevrol...october-thru-november-2010-a.html#post1194704. If you have the time, even if you are anti-Volt, it still might be worth a test drive just so that you have first hand impressions.

Warning: I've not been to a GM event w/the "Main Street in Motion" name but I can tell you that I went to GM Autoshow in Motion (something like that) are Great America in Santa Clara, CA many years ago, way before the Volt and GM bankruptcy and was very disappointed and felt it was a waste of time.

There were many vehicles (but no competitors) but the waits were incredibly long and they warned you to keep the speed below some amount (30 mph?) and don't squeal the tires. Part of the problem w/the long waits is that allowed parents to bring their small children along and thus they had to install and uninstall child car seats (brought by the parents). That meant cars were idled by this for a long time.

That was ridiculous given that they had cars like the GTO and some SS vehicles on hand. The only exceptions were the separate area where you could drive either a C6 Corvette or CTS-V but only one of the vehicles and only once for the whole event. The drives of the last 2 vehicles were very brief.

From talking to other attendees, apparently, years before I went to the above Great America event, they gave a lot more latitude about how quickly/aggressively you could drive the cars but had been ratcheting it down, over the years.