1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM . . . may survive

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Aug 14, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Corporations express the beliefs and opinions of their corporate managers who have a right to be wrong. During his time, Bob Lutz's GM denied, misled, and did everything they could to end the future of electric and hybrid electric vehicles. It didn't work but it sure caused a lot of hybrid trash-talk.

Lutz was eventually promoted to 'staff' and as soon as he retired, GM ended the 'mild hybrid' fraud. A year and a half ago, I met the design engineer of the Saturn two-mode Vue and he told me that they were directed to have the word "HYBRID" on the doors of that car . . . before it was killed and Saturn sold off.

The short term CEO Ed Whitacre relocated Lutz to a 'staff office' which helped Bob Lutz leave. But Ed is not the man to replace Lutz's 'hires,' the ones who would still follow Lutz's opinions and attitudes. Ed Whitacre is now stepping down and a new name, a new face to automobiles, Daniel Akerson, will take over. We've seen this work at Ford.

Ford replaced the family CEO with an outsider, Allen Mutally, in 2006 and he successfully avoided the Detroit meltdown and brought a new hybrid, the Ford Fusion. It took an outsider to break the established ways of thinking and Ford is looking at gaining market share. This is what Daniel Akerson may accomplish for GM.

Whitacre leaving General Motors

According to the "Autoline" podcast, 8/13/2010, Lutz has already muttered something about 'Akerson needing to pay attention to the established (aka., Lutz hired) GM executives.' Hopefully Akerson will treat Lutz's comments with the care and attention it deserves . . . and after a couple of the Lutz cronies leave, GM may let a younger generation of engineers do the right thing.

This is the first time I can remember when I see GM stock as possibly being worth something in the future. There is nothing wrong with American engineering that trimming some brain-dead wood won't fix.

No, I'm not trading in either of our Prius for Volt . . . a Lutz tained Beta that really doesn't exist. Rumors are that it won't come to Alabama anytime soon. Next year, there will be a dozen new hybrids and electrics and we'll see how the market shakes out. So I'm not committing to anything but what is best for me and my family.

Bob Wilson

5 people like this.
  2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Those who do not study the past are doomed to repeat it. This whole "hire from the outside" approach has been used time and time again. The funny thing, in order for it to happen repeatedly, the companies have to return to internal hirings, again. I found this book interesting and scary at the same time.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/1400068630?tag=priuschatcom-20

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    as long as gov motors is able to keep gas at $3.00, gov motors will probably be able to turn a profit. even with some bozo running it.:)

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    As Detroit goes - so goes GM. Good people leave bad places. Detroit's murder rate is somewhere arond 5X the national average ... and 7 of every 10 murders goes unsolved. Around 1 in 4 graduate high school in Detroit. Odds are better in Detroit of going to jail once, if not more. Detroit board of realtors reports the average home price (end of 2009) is under $12K and falling. Here's a quick 3 minute tour:

When PriusChat went to Detroit Last year, I walked aroud a bit outside each night ... and each night I heard GUN SHOTS. That' why the Detroit phrase was coined, "the high speed elevator to hell". Has any "once great place" that let itself crumble into a cancerous rot, ever turned itself around and become great again? Statistically, the odds are not favorable. It'll take a lot more than hope and a miracle Bob, but even so, I hope you're right, For GM's/GM's workers sake.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    last winter, i read that real estate companies were bringing in people from all over the world and running tours for them to look at properties. claimed they were buying up huge tracts for pennies on the dollar. they seem to have more faith in our future than we do.:(

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A 'place' does not innovate but rather it is the collection of skilled, crafty people that make stuff happen. When we were in Detroit, some of us went to the museum and that was a very nice area and neighborhood. But I've also lived in other neighborhoods where gun fire was common and not just in hunting season.

In 13 years employeed with GE Space Division, I learned that "headquarters = death." It isn't so much that headquarters lacks innovation and is full of 'back stabbers seeking a position' as much as they kept shedding 'managers' who came down to 'reap the harvest' innovated by field offices. In fact, the further I was from a headquarters, the more innovation was evident. So in one respect, an outsider manager may not know where these islands of innovation are and won't "help" them so they can grow and produce. <grumble, grumble>

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.